"yeah. that's luke." he answers with a small smile. "when he was two."

"do you have any other children?" julie asks curiously.

he shakes his head slowly before replying, "no."

a woman dressed in black with curly gray hair comes around the corner to her husband. "did i hear the doorbell?"

"hi, hon. um, this is julie." mitch says, introducing the two.

"hello julie." the woman says, "oh, that's a beautiful sweater." she says, motioning to the colorful top she had on.

"thanks. it's my mom's."

"julie lives in the house where luke and the band rehearsed." mitch explains. "she was just telling me she found a song that luke wrote."

y/n watches as luke's eyes gloss over as he watches the interaction.

"it's a song about a girl named emily?" julie tells them.

luke's parent's eyes widen and they look between each other and julie. "i'm emily." the woman tells julie, her voice just above a whisper.

julie smiles softly at her. "then i think your son may have written this song for you."julie hands her the paper and she slowly unfolds it, mitch's hands placed on her shoulders comfortingly as they start to read.

"first things first," luke sings to them as they read it, "we start the scene in reverse. all of the lines rehearsed. disappeared from my mind."

he sniffles and sings, y/n humming along softly.

* .* flashbacks * .*

a christmas long ago, luke and his mother yell at each other, fighting over him joining the band.

"when things got loud
one of us running out."

luke rides away on his bike, taking his clothes and guitar with him as his mother chases after him.

"i should have turned around
but I had too much pride
no time for goodbyes
didn't get to apologise
pieces of a clock that lies broken."

his father comes back from work in his car, and comforts a sobbing emily as luke rides into the night.

*・῾ ᵎ⌇ ⁺◦ ✧.*

"if i could take us back
if i could just do that
and write in every empty space
The words i love you in replace
then maybe time would not erase me,"

luke sits in the garage, scribbling away at his notebook, what would be the start of the song dedicated to his mother.

"if you could only know
i never let you go
and the words i most regret
are the ones i never meant to leave,"

luke sits back in his chair and thinks before declaring, "unsaid emily,"

* .*