.devine intervention for president.

what did people think the first time they heard bohemian rhapsody on the radio? i wonder about this sometimes. it must have sent musicians into a frenzy, much like the population of America during the original broadcast of war of the worlds. i probably would have packed my house up into my car and driven 500mph screaming into the woods.

i remember very vividly what went through my head the first time i heard creep by radiohead played on the radio. (that’s a strange sentence) it was pretty late already and i stayed up all night waiting for the radio station to play it again with my finger at the ready… perched on the record button to tape it as soon as it came on. yea that’s what us pirates did back in the day kids. we had blank tapes…so fuck your torrents. i walked twenty miles in the snow to a radio shack to purchase some blank ass maxells to bootleg ‘she don’t use jelly’ by the flaming lips. you should have to work for that goddamn shit.

still though, can you even imagine capturing a vocal performance like thom yorke did on fake plastic trees. i know, i know, radiohead has a waiting list of people trying to blow them as long as the x-mas time lay-a-way line at a Bradlee’s in 1985, but seriously…listen to that fucking song. you get it right? total perfection apparently equals blowjob line. the band kills it as a whole, but damn that’s an mvp vocal performance. so much so that basically if I drifted on a boat and somehow found undiscovered land, i would claim said land as a new nation and give thom lifelong kingship based solely on that song. god doesn’t touch people very often (priests on the other hand…). some people will go their entire life without ever hearing the heavens speak to them. if you’ve heard fake plastic trees however, fuck it, if you’ve ever heard Joe Cocker sing with a little help from your friends live at Woodstock, then you believe in divine intervention and you know there is a higher power at work somewhere somehow. that higher power may or may not give a shit about us….but it loves rock and roll, and you’ve been witness to it’s presence and the beautiful things it can help humans achieve.

i suppose what i’m trying to say is anyone that higher power sees fit to work through deserves a chance to run things, dontcha think? i mean i never heard a bush sing the shit out of dig a pony, and you can see where that got us…