Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Shadefall, you haven’t spoken to StarClan in a while. You don’t know what’s going on there,” Blackfeather heard Emberleaf protest. He felt a nudge from behind and let out a growl. Turning, he saw Brackenblaze lay his ears back, but Icefrond unsheathed her claws. He didn’t feel like she was a threat, so he turned back around calmly.

“Are you ready to make a run for it? We’re faster than they are,” he muttered to Emberleaf. She shook her head. “We can’t just leave the elders to them.”

Blackfeather turned again to see that the elders looked tired from the walk, but the other cats under Shadefall’s command were keeping them moving, shoving them forward every once in a while. Stormflash was also begin supervised, her amber eyes full of annoyance as the tom next to her tried to make conversation. Shadefall had quickly changed his mind about only bringing his littermates along, and instead forced the rest of the cats after him. Stormflash had been the only warrior, left to watch over the elders and Mintfoot because of her skill in combat. But Darkstar had chosen to bring as many cats to the Gathering as possible because of his small Clan.

Thinking of Mintfoot, Blackfeather glanced back and found the white she-cat with silver markings. She held Floodkit by the scruff, looking terrified and walking stiffly. Blackfeather saw a handsome RiverClan tom rest his tail on her shoulder and murmur reassurance to her.

He let out a sigh. “Now is better than never,” he whispered. “We won’t be able to get them out of RiverClan camp.”

“Let’s just try to help Mintfoot get to ThunderClan, alright? Since they’re getting rid of the code there, Floodkit will be made an apprentice and expected to fight.” Emberleaf hissed under her breath.

“Do you have a plan?” Blackfeather snarled.

He flinched as Emberleaf stumbled and let out a yowl of agony. Shadefall, two fox-lengths away, whirled around, and one of the toms that had been closest to Emberleaf tripped over her. “What is it?” Shadefall snarled.

“It’s a fox trap,” Emberleaf hissed, gritting her teeth. Blackfeather felt a pang of worry. Many warriors have bled out before escaping those, he thought. Like Flameheat.

As Brackenblaze leapt to her side to examine, and Shadefall let out an exasperated sigh, Blackfeather caught Mintfoot’s eye and beckoned her to start moving. At his ear flick, she leapt away from her captors, disappearing into the dark. Blackfeather tried to follow, but Brackenblaze gripped his scruff. As soon as he loosened his grip to growl a warning at him, Blackfeather tore away, leaving Brackenblaze with a mouthful of fur.

“There’s no fox-trap,” he heard Icefrond hiss. He heard a yowl of anger from Shadefall and heard him command the cats to follow.

Blackfeather detected the noise of a heavy step and glanced over his shoulder to see Emberleaf limping after him. He turned and pelted back to her side. Shadefall easily caught up to them.

“Stop trying to run,” Shadefall meowed calmly. “I’m just trying to save the Clans, okay? If Darkstar sees that you’ve joined our ranks, he’ll lead some warriors to join us as well.”