1 | The Forest

WC: 3563

"Beware the forest." That's what they always told him. But he was never one to follow the rules.

Etho travels into the Forest, despite its deadly reputation, for the chance to win coins he desperately needs. 

-

The forest was a death trap.

Etho pushed through the dense foliage, wandering through the dark forest aimlessly. He had no idea where he was, where he was going, or where he was supposed to go. He was lost.

All he saw were clumps of dark green leaves. Everywhere. There was barely any light coming through the canopy, only an occasional twinkle from the dim stars above. It was incredibly dark.

Dark enough to cloak monsters in the shadows.

A loud, guttural growl startled him, and his eyes darted nervously around to see where it had come from. Nothing--at least, from what little he could see.

But there were zombies in here. He knew that. And skeletons, with their ranged weapons. Both were deadly to an unarmed, defenseless person...such as himself.

Etho shook his head, exasperated and frustrated. There was a reason why the forest was off limits to citizens.

But had he listened to the rules? As usual, no.

He shouldn't have taken the dare. That was for sure. He'd accepted it on a whim, being desperate and impulsive.

And look where it had gotten him--lost in a dark forest, with hidden monsters surrounding him. They could see him, but he couldn't see them.

Of course, he wasn't going to give up now. He'd gone too far into it to back out. He was getting to the top of that mountain, no matter what...if he could find it, that is.

He sighed to himself. It was unbelievable what he would do for coins sometimes.

Earlier that day, Etho had been wandering around the Keep's courtyard. It was a place he went to often in his free time. He liked to arrive in the early hours, when not a lot of people were there. The courtyard was open to everyone, after all, and as such it got crowded after noon. Etho didn't like the noise and chaos, so he arrived around sunrise. The guards were used to his appearance by now.

Normally, he could stay out there for hours without anyone bothering him. But not today.

"I have an offer for you."

Etho jumped, not realizing someone was right behind him. The guy that was standing there wore a plain beige tunic paired with some brown trousers. He had a large, heavy broadsword strapped to his back--most likely an off-duty guard, judging by the clothing and choice of showy weapon.

Etho had never seen him before, so he was probably a new recruit. He certainly had that same cocky aura around him; one that Etho had seen many times before when recruits were accepted into the Royal Guard.

Something about him had made Etho instantly dislike the guy. The way he looked down at Etho like he was less important than others, maybe. Or the general contemptuous air he had around him. He had a slight sneer on his face, like he didn't enjoy being here, talking to Etho.

Etho tried to sidle away, not wanting to talk to anyone at the moment. "I'm sorry, I have to go--"

The guard blocked his way with an outstretched arm. "Hey, don't go yet. You haven't heard what I have to say. I think you'd be very interested in what I have to offer."