Chapter 26: Return to the Island

"Wait up! Don't you hear me? Wait up, Johnny," someone called out.

Johnny stopped pedaling and turned around, recognizing the voice calling his name. He circled on his bike once and then stopped. Shawn caught up, and Dan was right behind him. Then Kristen appeared behind Dan.

"What you doing?" Shawn huffed as he stopped next to Johnny. "I know you're not crazy enough to be going back to that island."

"I have to," Johnny replied. "I have something I have to do there."

"What? Like get yourself killed?" Shawn squinted at him.

"Totally bonkers! You've gone off the deep end this time." Dan shook his head.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Johnny said.

"Who would have believed a few days ago that there would be a giant nematode flying around terrorizing the town?" Kristen asked, having caught up. "Try us."

"Wait," Shawn said. "It's now a flying toad?"

"No! It ..." Kristen stammered and then waved an arm. "Never mind. Johnny?"

"Fine, but the short version because I don't have much time," Johnny said. "This little creature, she called herself Wisp, visited me. She said I had to find the sword I had before and use it to kill the canavar."

"Canavar?" Dan questioned.

"The monster."

"You had a sword out here before?" Kristen questioned.

"Yeah, I took it from a skeleton when were trapped inside that thing," Johnny replied. "Like from some really old army dude. But I dropped it after we got out."

"So this sword will protect you somehow?" Kristen questioned.

"I don't know." Johnny shook his head.

"Then if it doesn't protect you, then the monster'll kill you," Dan said.

"Maybe. I don't know."

"What do you know?" Kristen asked.

"That I don't have a lot of time." Johnny spun his head back around and started pedaling again.

"Wait up. We're coming too," Kristen yelled.

"Wisp said nothing about bringing you guys," Johnny shouted back.

"Did this Wisp creature say anything about us not coming?" Kristen asked.

"Well, no."

"Then I'm coming," Kristen said.

"Before you all commit, you should know something," Johnny said. "Wisp couldn't guarantee that I would live through whatever is going to happen."

"I'm still coming," Kristen said.

"We're here for you buddy," Shawn said. "If you bite the big one, we'll be sure to record it."

"Touching," Johnny responded.

"Maybe we can help you find that sword," Dan said. "Where did you say you dropped it?"

"Somewhere by the old ruins of the house," Johnny replied. Johnny led the way from there as they pedaled hard on the county road and eventually swerved onto the gravel leading to the island. They all huffed by then.

"Halt!" A soldier holding a rifle suddenly appeared in front of him.

Johnny skidded to a stop and stared at the rifleman as the others pulled up behind him. "I have something I have to do over there."