Chapter 29: The Science Fair

CS
~ Stop Me When You've Had Enough ~

By: Nural
(Omfg...love this freaking song)

It's almost been a week since I last saw Kale. I really don't get that guy. First, he has the guts to actually come back and look me in the eye again. Then, he just suddenly vanishes. Like wtf? Who the hell does that? Yes, I'm glad he's gone away again but it kind of gives me an odd, uncomfortable feeling. He could come back at any moment. He's like a demon who stalks and rapes inocent girls. A stalking demon rapist...that's more like it.

I slam my locker and run down the hallway toward the front doors of the school. I needed to get the supplies needed for Derek and my science presentation. I push open the door and let it slam behind me. I run down the stairs, almost tripping on my way down, and reach Aaron's car. I pull at the handle and then I realize something. 

"Shit." I mumble under my breath. The car was locked. I run a hand through my hair and look around the parking lot. Other people are getting their supplies from their cars as well but I see no sign of Aaron any where. 

I started to panic as I saw people rush back inside with their things leaving me and a couple of kids behind. Aaron's in class right now and I don't want to disrupt them. Besides, right now he's probably still working on that huge chemistry test he mentioned to me earlier in the day. I was begining to lose all hope until my eyes land on a familiar object.

A key, and not just any key, the key to Aaron's car. There it was, lying helplessly on the ground in plain sight. "That goddamn idiot. Who leaves keys on the ground like that?" I whisper frustrated, "I was about the bash that freaking window."

I unlock the car and gather all the neccessary supplies, which probably was only a tri-fold display board, my computer and my research papers. I hurry back once I lock the car and stuff the key in my pocket. Aaron, that idiot. Never knows how to handle little things like this...

~

I set my things down on the table. I look around the hall and see many people bustling around, trying to set up for the science fair. Today was pretty hectic, I mean come on, this morning I slept in for a good twenty minutes without Aaron even caring to wake me up, I couldn't find a decent outfit and ended up wearing mismatched socks, I spilled soda on my shirt during lunch which I magically covered up by wearing my sweater, I frantically paced around Aaron's car until I found the keys lying on the stupid ground...yeah, hectic. 

I assemble the display board, load the presentation video we prepared on my computer, and lay out my research papers for everyone to see. I turn and see a familiar guy with dirty blond hair.

"Derek." I say, trying to catch his attention. Yet he still chatted happily with a guy from the football team.

"Derek." I say more sternly.

Luckily, he turns to me with confusion writted all over his face. Realization hits him and he replaces his confused expression with a warm smile. "Sup, cutie. Brendon, catch up with you later." They do this wierd handshake bro hug thing and 'Brendon' walks away.

"Derek. Did you bring everything?"

He sighs and nods, "Yes."

"Are you prepared to present?"

"Yes."

"Did you take my last Fiber One bar?"

"Yes."

I glare at him. "I knew it. You ass!" I yelled while attempting to punch him. I've been saving that bar. I was suppose to eat it before presenting so that I won't become that nervous. Yes, I tend to eat to calm my nerves. Got a problem?

Derek blocks my punches with his arms. "Hey, I didn't just take, I ate it as well." He says with a smirk.

I give him one last, hard punch and cross my arms over my chest. "Jerk."

"You love me." Derek says as he tilted his head to the side still smirking.

My heart flutters just a bit. "N-No I don't"

"Mhm. Sure." He says sarcastically. 

My eyes dart away from his and they land on the table. I frown and ask, "Derek?"

"Hm?"

"Where the hell is our volcano model?"

"Um."

"What do you mean 'um'?" My voice raises as my gaze snaps back at him.

"Well, you see..." He begins.

"No, I don't fucking see. All I see is that our actual experiment is missing!"

"Alex-"

"Shut. Up. Don't even say it. I know you probably lost it or something or even worse, destroyed it. I don't want a damn excuse. You-"

"Alex," Derek cuts me off, "Look down."

I look at him in confusion but do as I was told to. In his hands was the volcano model. "What? But?" I began.

Derek erupts into laughter, "I was just joking, cutie. Do you think I'd be that stupid to actually destroy what you and I created together?"

Somehow that sounded like he was saying we made a child together. I look at him with hate and snatch the model from him. "Jerk."

Derek smirks once again. "You love me." 

~

The science fair went pretty smoothly, except for when someone's frogs and cockroaches came loose and scared the living crap out of everyone. On the plus side, I returned Aaron's keys to him whilst smacking him upside the head...hard and Derek and I got an A on our report. I was over joyed. 

"Fun day huh, cutie?" Derek says looking down at me as we cleaned up our table.

"I guess you could say that." I reply with a shrug.

"Just so you know, you look more like a hobo than an actual girl. Just sayin'" 

I stick my tongue out at Derek and narrow my eyes. "Don't judge. I slept in this morning."

"Ooohhh. Mismatched socks and a soda spill." He taunts.

I punch him in the arm as hard as I can and he winces as he rubsthe spot I hit him. "Shut. Up."

"Hey, at least I'm speaking the truth." He says in his defence.

I ignore his remark and continue cleaning. A silence envelops us but it's eventually broken by Derek. He leans down and whispers in my ear. "Just to let you know, You're pants and sweater is inside out."

I punch his arm again, this time with full force. "I said shut up, jerk. I hate you!"

Derek laughs and smiles that million dollar smile. "You love me."