xvii. HENLEY HALL

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN!( HENLEY HALL

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN!
( HENLEY HALL. )

   NEIL HAD TOLD Joan earlier that he got the lead role of Puck in the play at Henley Hall. Today he was heading out for rehearsal, as the play was tomorrow night. Joan along with everyone else was extremely happy for him. Neil was too lively to go to medical school. Neil, like the rest of them, had parents who were always putting too much on him, only for him it was worse. Mr. Perry was insufferably unsympathetic towards the wishes of his son, and Joan didn't know why. They could all blatantly see that it was hurting Neil, but Neil wouldn't ever say a word about it. He'd only brush it off and continue on.

"What's for dinner?" Violet asked Joan as they filed into the dining hall.

"Spaghetti and meatballs!" Jo grinned.

"My favourite," Violet smiled, taking a seat at the long table. After everyone was served, Joan noticed Neil walk into the dining hall with a sad expression on his face. Every so often Neil would have the very same expression, tight-lipped and glossy-eyed. Jo stood up to walk over to him but Violet grabbed her arm.

"Not a good idea. Let's talk to him later," she warned. Jo nodded and sat back down. She watched as Neil took a seat and was quickly greeted by his group of friends. She smiled softly, he was lucky to have so many people who cared. Sometimes it's just not enough.

As soon as dinner ended, Jo and Violet caught up to the boys. They decided not to say anything about his father, in case it was too sensitive.

"How did rehearsal go?" Joan asked.

"It was great. The rehearsal was great," Neil smiled cynically. "It's what happened after. My father told me to quit the play."

Joan sucked in a breath and immediately felt anger rise in her chest. She clenched her fists and breathed deeply. She didn't know what to say. None of them had an easy ride at home, but Neil had it worst of all.

"You should talk to Keating," Jo said. He was the best mentor any of them had ever had, surely he would know what to do.

Neil looked at Joan and wrapped an arm around her shoulder in a half-hug. "I think I will," he stated decidedly.

"Get out of here, Cameron, you fool," Charlie laughed as he grabbed his books. Joan looked over at him and shook her head, laughing. As she did, she caught sight of Knox, who had just gone to give Chris some flowers and read her a poem. Which was Joan's idea, only she didn't know he planned to do it in public.

"Charlie, look!" she said, turning Charlie's shoulders to face Knox. Charlie grinned and grabbed Knox's jacket.

"Hey, how'd it go? Did you read it to her?" he asked excitedly.