Chapter Four: Falling

Opal's P.O.V. 

The few days felt like forever. Shadow and I struggled to find things to do. Plus, we had to change the bedding in the nursery constantly. Everyone kept leaving the camp to prepare for if the humans ever came. Karma had arranged a meeting with Blossom at the lake. My dad and two other Pokemon were going with. 

"I'm going to have to move to the nursery soon," I overheard a Lieperd say to Mercy, my mother. "I'm expecting young!"

"Congratulations!" said Mercy, and licked her cheek with affection. 

I sighed, then threw some old and messy moss into a pile Shadow and I had made. Shadow continued on with his work as if he hadn't heard anything. But deep down I knew he did. He had never liked talk if young. He didn't even like being in the nursery. 

"We already have enough Pokemon in the pack," he'd say. "Why would we need more?"

At this time, his mother would lick his cheek with affection. "Because some Pokemon disappear, become rogues, or pass away, honey."

This was when I would swallow hard. "Mama?" 

"Yes?" my mother would say, grooming my white fur. 

"Will I ever disappear or become a rogue, like Shadow's mom said?"

She would laugh. "No honey. At least, I hope not."

I would nod in a way that showed I understood. She would smile, then continue to groom my fur. 

"Opal!" Shadow snapped me out of my day dream. 

"What? Oh, sorry," I looked down at the bed I was working on. The grass, cotton, moss and twigs were now just a large, spread out pile. Embarrassment flooded through my body. A blush formed under my fur. 

Shadow laughed. "You tore the bed apart while in your day dream or whatever!"

"Sorry," I picked up the pieces and tried my best to make a bed. But you could tell I had made it. 

He chuckled. "It's fine. But I think we're done here. Let's go put this back out where Ever told us."

I nodded. He picked up a large chunk of bedding in his mouth. I did the same. We headed out of the nursery, and to the hole where Ever had instructed us to go. 

There was a small ditch in which old bedding was stored. Once it was full, we'd create another. I could already smell the rotting moss and wet grass. My nose scrunched up. Shadow laughed through his mouthful of bedding when he saw my reaction. I forced a smile at him. 

As he walked across a small patch of grass, there was a cracking nose. I stopped in my tracks. The nose coming from below his paws stopped. But a slightly louder cracker came from below mine. 

Shadow looked back at me in shock. I had fallen way behind, so he was closer to the pile. His jaw dropped, and the bedding fell out. 

"Opal!" he began running towards me. But it was too late. The ground below me cracked and revealed a hole. Right below my paws. I let out a loud, high pitched scream. Naturally, the bedding fell out of my mouth. 

I quickly fell into the hole, hitting the stone ground hard. Pain shot through my body. It felt as if I couldn't move a muscle. My vision blurred, partly with tears. I let out a quiet moan.

"Don't worry, Opal!" Shadow called from above. His voice mixed with the ringing in my ear. "I-I'm gonna go get help! Just stay there!" The last thing I heard from him was the sound of his paws running across the wet forest grass.