Chapter 7- Imagination

"Dad, you're changing because of the role, it's got nothing to do with how you're eating," I explained at Charlie's soccer game.

"Crystal, this is affecting work, my opinions, everything! How do I stop it?" Dad said, frustrated.

"Unless you want to fall off a roof, you can't," I sighed. "So, you lashed out at work and ate a few too many sweets. Control yourself. You know how long it took me to not eat anything but sweets?"

"I don't have fifty years," Dad grumbled. "Why am I changing?"

"You know what Santa's description is in every story?" I asked.

"That's what I'm going to turn into?" Dad's eyes widened.

"That's Santa," I whispered as a kid came over and randomly sat on Dad's lap.

"I want ballet slippers," the girl said bluntly.

After a while, a bunch of little kids lined up to sit on Dad's lap. I continued to watch the game like nothing was happening. Some of the kids smiled at me and I smiled back.

I noticed Mom and Neil and Dad pushed the kid off of his lap.

"Hi! Hey, this probably looks pretty odd, doesn't it? These kids lined up all by themselves," Dad greeted them.

"Scott... I think it's safe to say that you're taking this Santa thing to an unhealthy level. Here's my card. Call me," Neil handed Dad one of his business cards.

"Scott, I really have to tell you this, this is beginning to scare me. I never in my wildest, well no, probably in my wildest, but certainly never in my normal dreams would I- but then again this is Scott we're talking about-"

"Laura, you're point?" Dad asked.

"I never thought you'd stoop to changing your physical appearance in order to make Charlie and Crystal like you! Do you have any concept of how dangerous this is to them?" Mom questioned.

"No! Woah, woah, how dangerous?" Dad questioned.

"Mom, what's the matter?" Charlie ran over as I was about to speak.

"C'mon, you two, we're going home," Mom grabbed Charlie and I's hands.

"But we just started!" Charlie protested.

"Mom, why?" I questioned, but she ignored me.

"You let them stay, I'll go!" Dad compromised.

"If you don't get your act together, Scott, so help me, I will just.." Mom trailed off in frustration and dragged us to the car.

"Mom, why are you doing this? Dad is doing nothing!" I argued.

"He's plaguing your mind with imaginations that aren't real," Neil said calmly.

"Dad is Santa and Crystal is an elf that's eighteen hundred years old!" Charlie argued.

"Who told you that?" Mom asked as she opened the car door.

"They both did," Charlie said as I shushed him.

"Crystal! Why you?" Mom questioned in disbelief.

"That's because I am," I said calmly.

"Okay, look at me, Crystal. Whatever your dad told you is just in your imagination. You are not an elf, and you are certainly not eighteen hundred years old! A person can't even live for that long," Neil crouched in front of me.

"Well, elves can live for longer," I reasoned.

"You are not an elf," Mom said sternly. "Get in the car."

"You don't think I'm an elf?" I questioned. I pulled out my ponytail and pushed my hair behind my ear. They looked at me in shock. "My real appearance is all in this bracelet."

"This is more serious than I thought," Mom breathed.

"I mean, ear surgery... That's a whole new level," Neil said quietly to Mom.

"It's not ear surgery! It's my real appearance!" I yelled.

Mom looked around. "Cover your ears with your ponytail again. We'll get you an appointment with a plastic surgeon to get them fixed. Get in the car."

I shook my head as I got in the car, looking at Charlie. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail as tears filled my eyes. Charlie snuggled up to me and I wrapped an arm around.

"It's okay, sis. I know you're real," Charlie whispered.

I sniffed, wiping away the tears on my cheeks. "Thanks, Charlie," I said gratefully.