14 SIMMY'S CARAVAN

They all hurried up to the place where Jake had caught hold of Jo. There was absolutely nothing to be seen except a few broken twigs in the hedge there. No Jake, no Jo. There was not a sound to be heard, either. Not a scream from Jo, not a shout from Jake. It was as if both had faded into the hedge and disappeared.

Dick squeezed through the hedge and into the field beyond. Nobody was there either, except a few cows who looked at him in surprise, their tails whisking.

"There's a little copse at the end of the field," called back Dick. "I bet they're there. I'll go and see."

He ran across the field to the copse. But there was nobody there either. Beyond the copse was a row of huddled-up cottages. Dick looked along the untidy row, exasperated.

"I suppose Jake's taken her to one of those," he thought, angrily. "Probably lives there! Well, he won't let her go, that's certain. He most likely guesses that she's in with us now. Poor Jo!"

He went back to the others and they had a low-voiced conference in the lane. "Let's tell the police now," begged Anne.

"No. Let's go to Ravens Wood ourselves," said Dick. "We know where it is. We wouldn't be able to go the way Jo would have taken us - but at least we can go by the map."

"Yes. I think we will," said Julian. "Come on, then. Quick march!"

They went on up the lane, took a field path and came out eventually on to a road. A bus passed them in the opposite direction to which they were going.

"When we come to a bus stop we'll find out if one goes anywhere near Raven's Wood," said Julian. "It would save a lot of time if we caught a bus.' We'd be there long before Jake, if he thinks of going to warn Jo's father we're on the way! I bet Jo will tell him. You might as well trust a snake as that slippery little thing."

"I hate Jo!" said Anne, almost in tears. "I don't trust her a bit. Do you, Dick?"

"I don't know," said Dick. "I can't make up my mind. She hasn't really proved whether she's trustable or not yet. Anyway, she came back to tell us all she knew last night, didn't she?"

"I don't believe she did come back for that," said Anne obstinately. "I believe she was coming back to pry and snoop."

"You may be right," said Dick. "Look, here's a bus-stop - and a time-table!"

A bus did apparently go quite near Ravens Wood, and was due in five minutes' time. They sat down on the bus-stop seat and waited. The bus was punctual and came rumbling down the road, full of women going to Ravens Market. They all seemed very plump women and had enormous baskets, so it was difficult to squeeze inside.

Everyone got out at Ravens Market. Julian asked his way to Ravens Wood. "There it is," said the conductor, pointing down the hill to where trees grew thickly in the valley. "It's a big place. Don't get lost! And look out for the gipsies. There's usually hordes of them there!"

"Thanks," said Julian, and the three of them set off down the hill into the valley. They came to the wood.

"It's a proper wood," said Anne. "Nothing but trees and trees. I should think it gets very thick in the middle - like a forest."

They came to a clearing where there was a little gipsy camp. Three rather dirty-looking caravans stood together, and a crowd of brown gipsy children were playing some sort of a game with a rope. Julian took a quick look at the caravans. All had their doors open.

"No George here," he said in a low voice to the others. "I wish I knew exactly where to go! I suppose if we follow this broad pathway it would be best. After all, Jo's caravan must have a fairly broad way to go on."