The Jedi Code

In Chapter 6, we get our first glimpse at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Like all religious sites, the Jedi Temple is more than the sum of its artwork. To the Jedi initiate, it’s an experience bristling with symbolism.

At the center of this symbolism is the light sculpture of the Jedi Code. You’ll notice on Wookiepedia that there are actually several Jedi codes.

The Original Jedi Code:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

And the more popular Jedi Code:

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

The Original Code appears in the light sculpture. It is a code of nuance. There is this, yet there is that. Much like a yin and yang symbol, there is yin in the yang, and yang in the yin. It provides guidance, yet withholds it. 

The more popular Jedi code is a code of absolutes. It reflects an order seeking to stamp out the evil within. In its righteous zeal it shuts down certain avenues to reality. To a large extent, it reflects a reaction to the excesses of the Sith.

Jedi in Herald of Fury grapple with these two perspectives. Do the benefits of the Order outshine its shackles? Is there a Dark Side, or are there many sides? From whose point of view? Does questioning the Order undermine it, or strengthen it?