Chapter 2: A Blind Date

Swirling my head around, I faced Archer, with my eyes bulging out of my sockets. What did he mean not coming? Well they better be coming!

"What?!" I shrieked, frightened at the thought of being alone with him. I didn't even know this guy, and here I am sitting at a booth with him. On a blind date.

Archer chuckled, a soft gentle melodic sound vibrated in my ears, at my expression. His hazel eyes glistening when he spoke, "I'm only kidding, but they did say that they were running late, that's all."

Relief flooded through me, like a stream. Calming down, a bit, I relaxed in my chair. So he was only joking, I thought, as my brain processed the information. Peeking a glance at him, I started to wonder how he just barely met me, and already he's pushing my buttons. I sighed, a breath of relief.

Watching me Archer remarked, "You really fell for that, didn't ya?" Then I saw his eyes travel over my body, lingering on my face. Blushing, I turned my head to face the opposite direction. He didn't even care that I noticed, nor was he trying to be subtle. It was like he wanted me to know he was watching me, noticing me, interested in me.

No, that couldn't be it, he was to hot for a girl like me. Besides, I'm a total wreck right now. Who would want me? A tallish blond haired girl, with sea-green eyes and not afraid to get into trouble. Yes, I'm a trouble maker. The only problem is ever since Gavin, I haven't been the same. Not even this guy would want a girl like that . . .

"Like what you see?" I teased, not expecting a response from him. Well, I might as well flirt on this stupid date.

Taken aback, his eyes widened, then slowly formed his lips into a smile. Making my body heat up, that I bet I was red head to toe. "Absolutely," he purred, emphasizing the word.

I sensed my face burning hot, even more, from the comment. When I glanced at his face, with a quick view, and he smirked at my reaction. Asshole, I bet he didn't even mean it. He could get any girl he wanted, yet he came. The only question that echoed in my brain was, 'Why?'

When silence filled us, I desperately asked, "So . . . how do you know Patch?"

He took a brief moment before answering, "We knew each other before the war."

I waited a while longer, wanting him to elaborate the statement. Nothing. I raised an eyebrow expectantly at him, that was it?

"That doesn't really answer my question," I pushed on, challenging him. By the shine in his eyes, I knew he accepted.

"Well . . . he was just different before Nora."

"You mean bad," I said flatly.

If that's what you want to call it . . ." he laughed, surely not at me, right? The thought made me speak, before I knew what I was saying.

"So you're a criminal," I inquired.

His laughter ceased, at my statement, and I felt the room go twenty degrees colder. Then I sensed his eyes glaze over me, and his face was a blank mask. When he didn't answer, it started to concern me a little.

Racking my mind, I frantically tried to change the chilly atmosphere. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me," I said trying to reassure him. I mean, even if he was a criminal, he wouldn't be the first I've met. The thought instantly brought me to Scott. Scott, I've missed him for three years now. I still remember everything about him though, to his built body, to his bright spunky personality. His husky scent whirled around me like a blanket. Like he was here now, right here, in-front of me, having our very first, official date. But he wasn't. Instead, a tall tawny muscled blond guy sat in his place, as my date.