I

Queue: Bloom - The Paper Kites

———————————————————————————

.
          It was a cool summer day, not unusual for the latter part of a summer in Jorvik. Kate slipped on her chocolate brown boots, heading out for the paddock where she kept Mali during the warm season. On her way out she heard the soft clanking of metal almost forgetting about Xena.

         "Well, vamos chica!" She hollered, her Belgian Malinois joined at her hip in an instance. Ever since Kate's dad got back from his tour in Syria he decided to end Xena's service and stay home for some time to catch up with his daughters. Walking out she saw the barn full of life.

"Hey Kate!" One student said.

"Kate! Good morning" a younger boy chipped.

      "What's up Kate! Anything planned for today?" One of her teammates, Lindsay asked as she led her dark slate grey warm blood, Achilles, with her.

      "Oh not much, you know the usual lesson here, time with Derek there, planning, etc." Kate said moving her head side to side.

       "Oh yes the grand show season kicking in, lots of planning you two have going on hun?" She smirked, "just don't let it get in the way of you guys ok?" Lindsay patted her shoulder, heading for the large outdoor arena.

         Kate loved the show season around Jorvik, truly she did, but it often got in the way of her and Dereks relationship considering she was the competition team captain and he was the team manager. Once the season was in swing they barely got any time alone together. However this year Kate is making it a top priority to set some time aside for just the two of them.

         Kate unlocked the paddock gate immediately seeing her light bay German Warmblood, Mali, head her way. Just as she was putting the fur and leather piece over his ears she heard a very familiar voice from a ways behind her.

"Good morning my sweet" that smooth deep silky voice Kate could recognize anywhere.

Turning around she smiled a smile sweeter than the purest chocolates.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" Moving back around the her horse.

"Well I had the best dream that this amazing woman lived with me and her warmth made my bed the most comfortable it has ever been making me sleep like a baby, but then she got up for the day." Kate turned around with a sly smirk playing on her lips to see a dramatic pouting face.

"You know I would love to stay in bed with you all day but I do have animals and people to attend to you know?" She joked.

"Weird, had no idea that was a priority of yours? Interesting, I'll make note of it." Derek moved, pretending to write something down in an invisible notebook.

       "Oh that reminds me, what are you planning for this years show season?" Kate turned her head to see him back up leaning against the posting.

"Well that all depends" he watched as she slipped the halter onto the calm gelding.

"On what?"

"On how much you and the girls want to travel this year, I personally would love to travel without horses or teammates at some point" he quipped.

"Yea? That sounds nice- C'mon Xena!" Kate called as we started walking towards the barn.

"Also you know Liliana will want to try and persuade you and myself into allowing her to compete with you guys" Derek said as he rubbed Xena's head, Xena shaking her head away from him. "Why does she always do that?"

"Do what? Move her head?" Kate cocked an eyebrow towards him as he nodded. "Because she knows she has a job to do and that's paying attention to my every move" She couldn't help but laugh.

"I know I've been telling you this for about two years now but you have one well trained pet there" he moved his head looking around, "speaking of where are the others?"

"Oh you know, running around here somewhere. Shep is probably with Lili, Karma is in the hayloft I'd bet, and Kobuk, well you never know with him. And I keep telling you that she's not a pet. Xena is a working dog, not a pet. This girl didn't go through two tours in Syria to be called a 'pet'." Kate smiled up at him.

"Oh yes pardon me I always forget that she was your dad's dog before yours" he chuckled.

"Going back to your mention of vacation earlier, what do you have in mind Mr.?" Giving him a suspicious look.

"Well I was thinking, maybe you, me, a cabin in the mountains... maybe some alone time-" but before he could finish what he was about to lead onto a voice cut him off.

"Kate! Derek!"

———————————————————————————

Author's Note
First chapter! The first few will be more on the boring side due to the slow gradual build ups but hopefully we will kick off soon! Have a good day/night/afternoon/evening!

.