Chapter Three: Grass

"We're here."

"Really?"

Thell could hardly contain her excitement as the Razor Crest landed on the remote forest planet. She could touch dirt for the first time, real dirt. Feel wind pushed by the trees blow in her face.

She nearly threw herself down the ladder, waiting for Mando to open the side telescopic gate.

"Hold on. Don't get yourself too excited."

He stepped past her, grabbing a large blaster from his regiment of weapons before stepping in front of the gate.

"I need to make sure we're alone first. Wouldn't want anyone shooting you as soon as you jump out there."

Thell laughed. Almost.

She watched as he cautiously paced the perimeter of the woods, pointing his blaster in several directions while he mapped the area. At his signal, Thell revealed herself and stepped down the gate. The forest was large, extending for miles and miles across the planet. But they had landed in a clearing surrounded by knee high grass, as green as she had imagined. Even more so.

Thell slipped her shoes off, wanting to feel the real earth beneath her feet. She could hear the child cooing behind her, curiously peeking out as he also descended the ramp.

She stepped forward, until the bottom of her foot was tickled by the dry grass, and then she was standing, dirt and leaves crunching under her toes. It was softer than she had imagined, and so much richer. She couldn't help the tears that suddenly came to her eyes, the joy that was overwhelming her. The sun was warmer here, and the wind sounded like peace flowing through the woods.

She heard crunches beside her and looked to see Mando approaching her, blaster at his side. It was only when he was a few feet away that she realized she still had tears on her face, and moved to wipe them away quickly. If Mando noticed, he didn't make a scene of it, instead coming shoulder to shoulder with her and staring out into the forest.

"We need to lay low for a little while, do some repairs on the ship."

"Okay," Thell said softly.

"We'll need to start right away. You know the basic controls and mechanisms of a military patrol craft?"

She looked up to see him already looking at her. "Um, yeah. Darand had me help with repairs on his cruiser, so I guess it should be pretty simple."

"We'll see," the Mandalorian grumbled before stepping away. Frustration rose inside Thell. She knew she was no expert on all things having to do with ships, but the least he could do was at least not make comments on her lack of skill.

Nonetheless, she hiked back up the telescopic gate with him, watching him set aside his blaster rifle.

"You can have one day off a week. You can do whatever you want, just don't go too far if you decide to wander off."

Thell looked down at her feet. "How long can I stay?"

The Mandalorian looked back at her, in all of his unnerving strength.

"Till the end of the month."

The first three weeks were strenuous, compared to the work Darand usually had her do. After dropping off his bounty, her old master, on an unnamed planet, they traveled to the remote forest planet so they could work on repairs to the ship. Mando had her perform various tasks, like replacing and cleaning the cooling radiator panels and repairing siding in the cargo hold. It was no easy work by far, but the more she did, the more secured Thell felt in his company. He was not a conversationalist by any means, and neither was she, so most of their time was spent in silence. Better than him snapping at her for asking too personal a question.