Chapter 10: Sectumsempra

Harry approaches Katie Bell. She has finally returned, and he has questions for her. He runs up to her, but she shuts him down pretty quickly.

"I'm sorry, Harry, I know you want to know who is responsible, but I don't know. I wish there was more I could do to help. But there isn't." He frowns.

"That's alright, Katie." Then he looks over to see Draco Malfoy standing abruptly from the Slytherin table, looking rather ill. "I...I have to go." He darts through the people after Malfoy. He sees the boy running up the stairs, and Harry follows after him. He needs answers.

He follows him until Draco enters a lavatory. Draco looks around before darting in. Harry managed to stay far enough behind so that Draco doesn't know he is being followed.

Harry hides behind the entrance to the bathroom and peeks in. Draco is...crying. Harry hadn't even realized that he had been referring to Malfoy as Draco in his head sometimes.

Maybe using first names could be a step in the right direction.

Draco has his hands splayed on the edge of the sink. His head is bent down, and his body shakes as tears fall down his face. Harry can't see his face, but he can see part of the reflection.

His tie is undone, his sweater forgotten. Draco's usually neatly combed hair is mussed, and water is dripping off of it.

Draco sobs, and Harry wants to know what is going on. He wants to know Draco's side of the story.

"Draco?" Draco doesn't turn around right away. His eyes meet Harry's in the mirror as Harry moves out of hiding. Draco shudders and squeezes his eyes shut before turning around with his wand at the ready.

"Get out!" Draco screams as he launches a hex at Harry. Harry dodges and has to jump towards the side. Draco didn't even give him the chance to explain. Harry wants answers, not a fight. He still believes that there is some sliver of hope for Draco. Harry hopes he isn't wrong.

"Draco! Stop!" Harry yells as he tucks his body behind a stall. But it is hard to hear. The hex must have hit a pipe because the room fills with the sound of rushing water. "Tell me what is going on!" Another hex gets thrown at Harry, and he slides under the stalls to avoid it.

Harry takes a deep breath. They'll hurt each other if this keeps up. He needs to explain to Draco that he isn't there to attack him. But if he comes out of hiding, he will get hit. Harry grits his teeth as he thinks over his options. He will just have to get hit.

He walks out from behind the stalls and lowers his wand. Draco is trembling as he raises it to hit Harry. Harry braces himself for the sting. Harry drops to one knee as the hex hits him. It's a ruthless one.

"Draco..." Harry grits out. "Please...talk to me. I want to help." Harry collapses onto his hands and knees.

"No...you-it won't- It won't matter anyway!" Draco sobs. "Everyone already thinks I'm evil. No one would believe me anyway!"

"I would." Harry starts to rise, and Draco points his wand at him. Harry lowers himself back to his knees. "I'd believe you, Draco. You just have to talk to me. Explain yourself."

"You just want me to confess!" Draco moves closer towards Harry with his wand raised. Harry needs to grab the boy's wand, or they will never make any progress. "This is probably all a trick." He moves closer, and Harry can almost reach out his hand now. Just a bit further.

"It's not a trick."

"How should I believe you? How should I know you won't turn me in?" Draco pleads desperately. His lip trembles, and his hands shake—just one more step.