F o u r: Karma

-

After a while, when things like happiness feel above and beyond your grasp, things like faith and religion feel like false hope. So you believe in what seems tangible, things like karma, the very idea that every single ounce of pleasure or pain that you experience comes from your own actions.

I've done plenty of wrongs and collected my fair share of pain but it seems like I've finally done something right.

Mystic stretches forward, her soft hands gripping my own as she pulls me back into Sam's shop.

The buzz of electricity I feel when her fingers lace with mine is the kind of feeling I think poems, books, plays and movies are written about.

I may have been deadweight behind her as she practically drags me towards her booth but I feel as light as air, like I'm walking through cloud nine.

More graceful than a swan, she slides into the booth, releasing my hand in the process.

Though I didn't expect her to keep holding my hand, I can't help but feel gutted at the absence of her warm hand.

"You're not working, right? Come on, sit with me." Mystic's honey-voiced travels through the air, each of her words sweeter than the next as she places her-my book on the table.

And just like all times before, I seem to have swallowed my words around her and all I can do is nod as I sit in front of the beauty.

Her cherry lips quirk up into a smile that makes her eyes gleam brighter than the stars, leaning forward she rests her elbows on the table as she gazes at me - right then and there, I know that if she wants to, she can heal the world.

"You don't say much, huh?" Mystic's smile quickly morphs into a sly smirk, her eyes twinkling with a mischievous glint. "I swore to God, you couldn't speak. Now that I know you can, at least give me a few words buddy." She laughs, so soft, so sweet, its music to my ears.

Here was my chance to impress her.

My chance to speak to the sun and pocket a little of her sunshine.

In the weeks I have come to admire her, I have stolen a thousand glances and imagined one hundred different exchanges. I had so many questions I wanted to ask, yet only one question enters and refuses to leave my mind.

"Where have you been?" The words slip out before I have the chance to catch them and immediately I can feel the heat rush to my cheeks as her eyes widen and she leans away from me.

"The last few days?" her voice was so low and hesitant that it eases some of my own nerves. "You noticed?"

I lean in closer and nod, "Well yeah, you've come in here and sat at the same booth, ordering the same drink, reading some book every day for a few weeks now. I was starting to think you and the furniture were a packaged set."

Mystic's lips form into an oh, before she ducks her head in a coy manner that only makes her more stunning as she bellows a laugh.

Soon, she looks back up to me, "I guess you become real observant if you don't waste time talking." Her lips stretch as she levels me with a sly grin.

"My brother came to visit and he dragged me all over to the sites, he wanted to see. He had no interest in coming to see my favourite little coffee shop." She shrugs and her eyes lose some of their usual spark.

"But he's gone, now. I'll be here, right on time, no worries."

I shift closer to her, my curiosity peeking at her cryptic tone - anything that can cause an angel to frown is worth a question but I don't get the chance to investigate as I see Sam barreling down to our table.