BE HUMBLE

Just think...

Nothing sets a person so much out of the Devil's reach as humility.-Jonathan Edwards

Read this...

Charles Schulz will long be remembered for his uncanny ability to capture the reality of childhood in his famous comic strip Peanuts. One that taught the subtlety of pride depicts Linus and Charlie Brown talking about their plans when they grow up. Linus says, "When I get big I'm going to be a humble little country doctor. I'll live in the city, see, and every morning I'll get up, climb into my sports car and zoom into the country! Then I'll start healing people. I'll heal everybody for miles around!" Then he concludes his speech with, "I'll be a world-famous humble little country doctor."

Even with the very best intentions, it's so easy for us to get sucked up into the whirlwind of pride. We can start out with the most humble objectives, but somehow we always seem to end up stumbling over our own selfish desires and motives. So how can we avoid this wily web of deceiving ourselves into thinking we're something that we really aren't? I think Saint Paul gives us the answer to that dilemma, when he tells us to "consider others better than ourselves" (Philippians 2:3). When you think about it, it's just good sense. If we focus our attention on others, we focus less attention on ourselves. (Darlene Helper, "For Others")

More from God's Word...

Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life.

Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor.

Isaiah 57:15a For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit."

Matthew 18:4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23:12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Luke 1:52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted the lowly.

1Peter 3:4 Rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

1Peter 5:5 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Prayer for the day...

Isaiah says that You dwell in the holy place, with him who has a humble spirit. I want to be in that "high and holy place" with You, Jesus. I want to be humble before You and others, so that You can be closer than ever to me. Are there any areas of my life where I tend toward pride? And how can I learn to exercise more humility in those area?