Chapter 6

Everything was placed neatly and nicely on the wooden serving tray, already set aside at the foot of the mattress. The fort was completely done - heaps of soft and cozy blankets and pillows on every flat surface under that tent. I was already in the office, staring out of that big bay window at the storm passing by, a goofy grin of satisfaction on my face. I was happy, and that was good. The only thing – the only person – missing, was Josh.

A crack of lightning hit the earth far from us, the thunder rumbling loudly above, "Babe, have you seen my slippers?" Josh yelled from the bedroom.

I looked down at my feet and bit my lip to stop the grin from spreading further on my face, "I'm wearing your fuzzy slippers, sorry," I yelled back. They were much too big for my two small feet, but they were comfortable. And damnit if I didn't want to be comfortable.

"Can I have mine back?" his voice came from the doorway. I turned to face him and had to slap my hand in front of my mouth to stop the involuntarily laughter that left me. Josh was, once again, wearing a thick comforter, the ends sweeping the floor as he walked into the room. "I brought your fuzzy socks," he tried to bribe then. He held out his arm, the one not clutching the comforter at his throat, my comfy beige socks in his hand.

I grinned back in response, grabbing the socks and slipping off his slippers, "Sorry, they're comfier than mine," I shrugged, bending down to slip my socks on my feet.

"It's okay, I just thought socks would be comfier than slippers while we're in there," he said, nodding his head towards the fort, "Plus – I'm wearing socks too."

True to his word, Josh was in fact wearing fuzzy socks. "Guess what?"

"What?" I asked, quirking up an eyebrow.

Josh whipped off the comforter in one quick sweep. And there he stood, in the matching set of pajamas I bought him weeks ago – cartoon cats and dogs in sweater vests on every square inch of fabric. I burst into a fit of giggles. God, he was so cute.

"You look adorable," I managed to squeak out after I composed myself, "Very cute, so cute I want to keep you in my pocket."

"You're the one who fits in a pocket."

"Did you see the medicine –"

"Yes and I gobbled it down like a good boy," he interrupted, sticking out his tongue at me.

Another giggle escaped, "Just pick out a movie, you dork."