Chapter 20

***GUYS, WE'RE ALMOST DONE! ONE MORE CHAPTER AND AN EPILOGUE, AND THEN I HAVE NO EXCUSE NOT TO WORK ON IAW!

SNL: *pokes head in the door* I can give you an excuse

Me: *mind goes into overdrive*

IAW: Just stop, bro. I deserve some love. Finish me, and you finish your series.

Me: But...the Bachelorette...

Also, I don't own Band-Aid Brand. I'm just stuck on it because it's stuck on me.***

***(Jay's POV)***

Kai and I crawl out of Homer's truck bed as he walks up to Sanders's cabin doorstep. We need to get around the back of the cabin before the police chief gets to the front door, or we'll be spotted for sure.

Once I hoist myself over the edge of the truck, I run to a spot I estimate is out of sight of the door. Then, I do my best to silently creep toward the back of the house. Kai follows at a slight distance.

"Which one is the laundry room window?" he asks. "That's the one Homer told us to use, right?"

"Exactly. I...think it was the window on the left? No, right. Definitely right." I've gone left too many times tonight already.

"You're sure?" Kai asks.

I nod vigorously. "Positive. We break in, we get Nya out, and we get away from here as fast as possible. Then, we'll have to get the authorities from the next town over to come look at the crime scene before the police chief here manages to cover up the evidence."

"The closest PD is probably Stiix," Kai reasons. "I don't know their number, but we can get it off the web." He pulls out his phone. "I'll go ahead and get them on the line, but we need to head in there now."

"You're right." I swallow hard. "I just hope Nya's in good enough condition for us to get her out of here. If we're too late, Sanders might already be out digging a hole in the woods for – "

I hear the door open on the other side of the house and breathe out a sigh of relief. "Okay. We can rule out the part about him burying Nya in the forest right now. He's answering Homer at the front door." I point to the window on the right side of the back of the house. "That should be the one."

"Let's do this," Kai growls. "We get in, we get Nya, we trap the police chief. And shoot him, if necessary." He belts his phone. "The police can track a call, right? I just dialed the number, but I'm not wasting any time talking." He bends down and searches the ground for something to use as a weapon.

"Yeah." I swallow. "Here, give me the phone. I'll give them a quick rundown so they know what to expect." I pull the phone off Kai's belt.

"Hello?" asks the woman on the other end of the line. "Is anyone there?"

"Hi," I say quickly. "My name is Jay Walker. I'd like to report a potentially volatile situation – a woman has been kidnapped in a remote area and is in danger of being murdered."

"Okay, um...do you know the address?"

"No clue," I huff. "It's right outside Ignacia." I name the highway that led us here. "You're going to have to track the call. When you come up the driveway, you'll need to use the left side."

"Okay. Let me patch you over to the Ignacian PD – "

"Their chief is the attempted murderer. We can only accept medical from Ignacia. The corruption is knee-deep in this place." I hand the phone back over to Kai.

I'm going to be in so much trouble with the Ninjago City PD for staging a stupid rescue mission like this.

Kai grabs a log and steps past me. "Ready?" he whispers.