Broken nightmare 4#

I stayed outside the entire day, awaiting the chance to talk to Liam again. I had convinced myself that may be he wasn't like the other guys; maybe he didn't have a girl locked up in his house forever. Liam came out around noon again, this time dressed, in a red shirt and khaki shorts.

"Ella?" He called.

"Yeah, I'm here."

"Hey, you want to maybe come over to my yard, because I can't really see you."

"Uh... I can't climb the fence."

"Well, you can walk out your front door and walk over here."

How could I tell him it just wasn't that simple?

"I can't do that."

"Okay, why not?"

Think. "Because there is a dog next door and I hate dogs."

"Fine. We'll just have to find a way for you to get through here. It'll be easier this way anyway.

Liam went inside and came back out with a hammer. He pulled out all the nails from the bottom portion of three pieces of wood that were a part of the fence that connected our yard.

Now you could just slide those three pieces to the side and cross to the other side of the fence through the opening.

And that's exactly what I did, thinking, 'Why not?'

I knew at that moment that I hadn't just crossed into another backyard, but another world, even for just a little while.

Liam and I got to talking about everything:

First the weather -

"I love the weather this time of year. I can get up every morning and swim all I want."

Then books we likes -

"For English class I had to read 'The Scarlet Letter", and I'd never admit this, but I actually like it."

"No way, I read that too! I loved it." Yes, I had climbed into the attic and found this book. Austin was pretty pissed, but the book was great.

Even school -

Liam pretty much told me what it was like and I made up some stories about homeschooling.

"Yeah, the work sucks right now, junior year, ACT tests and applying for colleges..."

"It's pretty easy for me; I just look something I don't know up."

"What college are you thinking about?"

"I'm... still deciding, there's so much to choose from!" Not for me, of course.

Spending time with him, I smiled and laughed like I had never before.

At long last, our conversation ended. "Oh, and I probably won't be around tomorrow, because I'm going over to Amy's."

"Who's Amy?"

"She's my girlfriend."

Oh. "What's she like?"

"She's tan, black hair, pretty nice. Maybe you'll meet her sometime."

"Maybe. I'll see you later."

Sitting at the counter, I tried not to cry.

'Of course he has a girlfriend. They sound like they look alike, so they're probably the greatest couple. This is so ridiculous. Nothing could ever have happened anyway. You're living in two different worlds. He'd never be into you anyway. You don't even KNOW him, or what he's really like. Just snap out of it.' I told myself.

But I cried anyway, over the boy who I'd met only today and liked so much already.