Chapter Fifteen

The snow melted in the weeks that followed and I can't say I was sad to see it go. The snow was probably my favorite and most hated thing at the same time. The contrast between the white snow that I had been seeing for weeks and the fresh green grass and bright hues of flowers and birds that now littered everywhere was a sight to behold. Classes were still going on and I was still going through the motions of school and work with one notable difference - Danny.

Right after the day we kissed, Danny got a call and left in a hurry. A few days later he was granted a two-month leave of absence from his studies due to a 'personal emergency'. I never got to say goodbye to him because, by the time I found out he was leaving, he was gone. I called him daily of course, but no answer. I didn't push it though - one call a day was all I did and even if he didn't answer at least he knew I was still thinking of him and hoping he was doing ok. 

So the days bled into weeks and I repeated the same cycle: wake up, call Danny, the phone would ring to voicemail, leave a small message telling him he was on my mind, go to classes, work twice a week, sleep and repeat. It was a monotonous cycle but I dealt with it as best I could. Truth be told though, I was very lonely and I was also riddled with questions. Danny was my only friend on campus. With him gone, I had nobody to really talk to. Along those same lines too, what were Danny and I anyway? I mean friends don't kiss and confess feelings to each other do they? He never said officially we were dating or together or anything and before I could get clarity, he up and left. The one good thing about all this was that since I confessed to Danny, my inner demon was a lot more silent nowadays. I mean, sure he pops up every now and then, but I squash him so fast he has no time to affect me. I liked who I was becoming and I would not return to the abyss that I took years to crawl out of. I thank Danny for helping me see me for me and not as less than what I was worth. 

But, for real, where was Danny? Was he ok? Was his family ok? Would I never see him again? WAIT! HAD THIS ALL BEEN SOME KIND OF DREAM THAT I INVENTED?? OK, maybe the dream was a stretch but, as anyone around me could tell, my mind was spiraling out of control and it was affecting my actions. 

"Whoa! Be careful!" came a concerned shout as a force collided with me and sent me sprawling. A loud rumbling sound echoed behind me and I sat up to see a huge heap of books lying haphazardly and higgedly-piggedly all across the floor. Mrs. H was peeking over the pile, a look of concern on her face. 

"Are you alright?" 

"Yes," I replied, standing up and dusting off myself. I walked around the huge book pile to Mrs. H and the empty pedestal beside her, no doubt where all the books had just tumbled from. You see it was Literature Appreciation Week next week and Mrs. H and I had been closing the library early to work on the decor for that week, the centerpiece being a literal book mountain showing the progression of literature with classic novels forming the base and modern and contemporary making the middle and the top.

"Why did it fall?" I queried as I stooped to pick the books up.

"Maybe because someone was distracted and pulled out the book that was the one holding the whole thing up," said Mrs. H nonchalantly.

"What?" I said gathering more books, "Are you saying I'm not focused?"

Mrs H raised an eyebrow and pointed. I looked down only to realize I was picking up the same books and putting them down only to pick them up again. 

"Ok I am a wreck," I admitted putting the books down. 

"C'mere," Mrs. H said patiently and we both walked away from the book pile and sat across from each other at a table. Mrs. H didn't say anything for a while but then she broke the silence.

"All this is about your silver-haired prince isn't it?"

"I do not have a silver-haired prince."