One Scary Night Alone

The evening was quiet at Rescue Bots Academy. After a long day of training, the Professors had left their charges for the night, returning to Griffin Rock. Hotshot had begged for them to get just a little more time up before retreating to their stasis pods for the night, and Boulder being the soft bot he was, gave in.

With the professors gone and Boulder not exactly specifying the amount of time "A little more" was, all five recruits had found time to just hang out for as long as they wished. Or at least until the professors came back in the morning and potentially found them all still up.

Hotshot and Wedge had decided on watching an action film Cody had told them about in the common area. Medix had resisted but finally given in to defeat and was settled in the corner, doing his best to study intensive medical journals while loud explosions and shouts echoed from the video screen. Hoist had decided action was a little too...stressful for him to watch right before bed, and so he hurried off down the hall to fill his own time, Whirl grinning as she followed him.

They were partially into the film when Hotshot tilted his helm to the side, "Is it just me," he asked, "Or have Hoist and Whirl been acting kinda...weird lately?"

"What do you mean?" Wedge asked, not really listening too much to his teammate's pondering and much more enthralled in the film.

"They've just been hanging out together a lot by themselves, getting into these excited conversations about...Sciencey stuff."

"They share similar interests." Medix muttered, "Why wouldn't they enjoy doing things together?"

"It's more than just having fun, Medix. Did you not see during the simulation today that the moment Whirl was having any sort of trouble, Hoist abandoned his position to go help her?"

Wedge shrugged, "It's nothing to worry about, Hotshot. They've just become close friends while here."

"Haven't we all?"

A loud scream broke through the sound of the film, but as it was an action film, it took them a moment to register that it hadn't come from the screen... It had been Whirl down the hall, and she'd sounded terrified.

The three mechs leaped to their pedes and rushed out the door of the common area. "Whirl!?" Wedge hollered, but there was no answer. "Hoist!?" No answer from the towtruck either.

"Come on, I think they were in their museum!" Medix informed.

They ran down the corridors, their optics widening as they heard a loud crash, and then as they turned the corner, they stumbled to a stop in horror.

The recruits gasped as they saw the scene. Hoist stood at the end of the hall in dinobot mode, growling in their direction with glowing orange optics, and clutched in his teeth...was Whirl, limp and unresponsive.

"Hoist!" Hotshot worried as he looked at his friend, "Hoist...What did you-"

Hoist's growl deepened, and he placed Whirl down on the floor before giving a loud roar and charging at his friends. The recruits scattered to either side; Hotshot on one side, and Wedge and Medix on the other. Hoist took off down the hall, and the three mechs looked to one another.

"Hotshot, call the professors! Medix, look after Whirl!" Wedge ordered, "I'll try to keep him within the academy!"

Hotshot and Medix nodded, and then they separated, with Hotshot following Wedge. "Hotshot to Professors! Professors, come in!"

We hear you, Hotshot. Heatwave spoke up, But shouldn't you all be in-

"Hoist's gone nuts in dino mode!" The little firebot's spark was pounding with fear and worry, and his tone showed it. "He hurt Whirl!"