08 | Throw Away the Plan

A/N: Ok, I lied. This is my second author's note. I got impatient and bored, so I decided to publish this an entire 24 hours early because I feel like it. The epilogue will still have to wait for December 24th, 2020. I hope you enjoy the last two chapters of this story!

~~~

After another hour of strategizing to combine the Avengers' plan with the demigods' plan, everyone was ready. The Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents would take down HYDRA operatives and secure the facility, the demigods would break through any lines of defense and handle any monsters that came their way, the Olympia Division would also take care of monsters and would handle any 'special' HYDRA soldiers, and the seven (except Hazel who had gone back to New Rome and Frank who had never left New Rome) plus Nico were tasked with finding Rachel and getting her out.

~~~

1389 words

For a while, everything went according to plan. The HYDRA base of operations was seized by S.H.I.E.L.D. and all the monsters around were vaporized to gold dust easily enough by demigods. Although the number of demigods attracted a bunch of monsters, there were also ample numbers to kill them with little difficulty. Looking back, the only part that didn't go as smoothly as expected was the 'rescue Rachel' part.

Some HYDRA soldiers were in the middle of transporting Rachael to a secondary location. You never want to go to a secondary location. Nico and the seven were hot on her tail but ran into two hydra monsters before they could reach her. That's when the most surprising and impressive thing happened.

Rachel was taken into the room where they stored some boxes. To be specific, they stored the boxes with the presents Rachel had just bought for her friends (more like the entire camp). They confiscated the boxes when she was kidnapped, but she was about to take them back. And what was Rachel reclaiming? The boxes were filled with none other than blue plastic hairbrushes.

She dashed for a box, tore it open, and started chucking the hairbrushes at the HYDRA soldiers. Her stay at Camp Half-Blood helped her improve her throwing arm (amongst other skills), so Rachel was able to hit them on the head hard enough to knock the soldiers unconscious. By the time the seven reached Rachel, she had knocked out 20 soldiers and was still going strong. The seven with Nico jumped in to help clear out the last dozen or so, but seeing that Rachael had her trusty hairbrushes, they knew she could've handled herself just fine. After all, a hairbrush is a mighty weapon to wield. It takes skill to hit the Titan of Time with one and live to tell the tale.

Once the warehouse was secured, everyone made their way outside. Percy dismissed the Olympia Division and the demigods piled back into the camp vans to return to Camp Half-Blood relieved that they had Rachel back. Only the Avengers and Peter remained.

"So what happens now?" asks Bruce.

Startlingly, a golden lyre appeared over Clint's head. Percy wasn't that surprised but wondered why Apollo never claimed him before. Not that he needed the protection camp offered. Clearly, he made it out well enough on his own.

"Hail Clint Barton, son of Apollo, god of prophecy, music, archery, medicine, and the sun," Percy said as he knelt on one knee as was customary when someone is claimed. He quickly rose and smiled at a shocked Clint. "Welcome to the family!"