edge of great pt. II

I wallowed a little bit about life and what it could have been should I have never walked into oncoming traffic, and then the sudden realization hit me that I was late for our performance

I wallowed a little bit about life and what it could have been should I have never walked into oncoming traffic, and then the sudden realization hit me that I was late for our performance. I panicked for a moment thinking that they would hate me and how stupid I sounded for yelling at the guys for missing a performance when I was doing the same thing. 

I poofed into Julie's room and pulled on an outfit quickly before poofing into the garage. I didn't even bother to fix my hair or makeup, I just needed to make this performance. 

"Jade." Alex said behind me. He grabbed my arm and I turned to face him for a mere second before I noticed the music still playing in the background. 

I turned around and my heart shattered at the sight of Luke and Julie inches from each other's faces singing the last lines of Edge of Great. Not only had I missed the performance, I had clearly missed my chance with Luke. 

I felt confused and angered. Things were different between Luke and I literally yesterday, but one tiny miniscule argument and things had changed. I never talked to Julie except once about Luke, and never had she mentioned to me she had feelings for him. She was so sure that things were finally going in the right direction with the boy from her school. 

Once Luke poofed away from Julie and into the garage, I knew that nobody could longer see us. 

"Jade, it isn't what it looks like." Alex said to me.

"Jade, where have you been?" Luke asked once he realized I was standing in the garage. I didn't realize until then that my eyes were watering and my bottom lip was starting to tremble. "Did you see...?" He looked over at Julie who was still soaking in the applause from her classmates and friends at the foot of her piano. "Jade, I swear it wasn't what it looked like."

"He's for real." Reggie said. 

I just shook my head and poofed back to the beach where I had the vast majority of my day anyways. I plopped down in the sand and pulled my knees to my chest letting the tears roll down my cheeks. 

I don't know why I decided to react the way I did, it just hurt me. The Zach Johnson situation was so long ago, literally decades ago, but for some reason it still affected me so harshly. Zach Johnson was honestly such a small part of my life and Luke was entire life, so you can only imagine the hurt I felt in my chest. 

I don't think I'd be so hurt right now had Julie and Luke showed even the slightest signs of being interested in each other. The last thing I expected was to show up to the garage and see Luke and Julie about to kiss basically. I'd be happy for them even had I not been caught so off guard. I couldn't blame Julie. I don't think she really knew how I really felt about Luke. 

I assume the reasoning for my being upset was I truly felt something with Luke since coming back. I felt myself growing closer to him each day, and a part of me felt him pulling closer to me. I guess somehow I was wrong.