Prologue

Warren, North Carolina

This can’t be happening… How could I’ve been so careless?  NO!  DON’T!  You can’t do that…

They’re here, waiting to ambush her.  This time, that woman accompanied them. 

Her grandfather’s warning reverberated through her mind, reminding her of her precarious situation. “Don’t let them know who you are, Amanda.” 

Cornered, she considered her surroundings, trying to figure out what she should do.  The deep woods of Nantahala forest beckoned to her, her best chance for safety, but it was an extremely long shot.  She sighed, acknowledging she had no other choice.

She ran as fast as her legs could carry her, screaming at the top of her lungs, hoping that by chance others might hear her. But, at this time of night, the folks of the small town of Warren – one of the small towns found in the Nantahala National Forest – usually stayed indoors, and this night wasn’t an exception.

Even though her throat, lungs, and sides hurt, she kept on screaming and running.  She sensed someone gaining on her…her petite legs were no match to his long ones.  She screamed again with all her might. 

But it was a futile attempt.  Her assailant caught her, immediately covering her mouth to keep her from making any more sound.  She bit his hand – her last effort to free herself.

He smacked her face so violently that she fell to the ground.  But another set of hands was there, pulling her before he could.  He grabbed onto her shirt.

 “Run!” her savior ordered. 

Her violet eyes sparkled brightly – her grandfather’s warning forgotten.  The need to protect overpowered her desire to hide herself.

“Run!” her savior repeated more determinedly this time.

Reluctantly, she conceded, running again as fast as she could – not noticing the tearing of her shirt.  Must keep on running… must find help!  Desperation and fear drove her to keep on.