Chapter 14: A Glimpse into a Paranoid Psychotic's Mind

"Who could that be?" Mitch wondered out loud.

Before anyone could move to check, the screen on the television in the Johnson house changed again to show the video feed outside the front door. A familiar figure appeared.

"It's Brewer," Lamar stated as he walked toward the door.

"I wonder what happened." Marcus pondered aloud. "I left Fleming in charge of CID with Brewer and Thomas to assist him."

Looking at the television screen more closely, he observed the folder Grant held. Frowning, he turned to Chief Adam and Mitch, giving them a silent gesture. Inconspicuously, they followed Lamar. However, Amanda noticed them since she also saw the folder.

"Is he the new detective?" Katie asked since the name was unfamiliar to her.

"Yes, Grant Brewer transferred to CID from patrol just this Monday." Kim confirmed.

"The same one that Amanda didn't want to corrupt?" Charlene inquired unable to hide her own curiosity.

Sandy snickered. "Uh-huh. He's straight as an arrow, and even though it's shocking, he's apparently more innocent than Miss Impossible over there."

"Innocent is not an adjective that should be associated with Amanda," John commented with a smirk. "She used to lead us in our shenanigans even at the age of two. She's got a cunning, mischief-making brain. When we were bored, she always thought of brilliant adventures for us."

Mike snorted. "I still remember when we got spanked instead of her after we pointed to her as the evil mastermind of the prank we successfully pulled off. Annoying Reed was always tattling on us."

Doc rolled his eyes. "Humph! We finally got tired of you always blaming her when the fact is you enjoyed following her and usually coerced her to come up with those ideas. Oh and by the way, we were always on to you."

"It didn't stop, Doc Wilson." Liza joined in. "Mike groveled a lot until Amanda gave in."

Mike snorted. "I didn't see you complaining then. I just remembered that fun in school left with her."

Liza sighed. "Oh, so true. It was not the same anymore. By the way, Mike's ideas suck."

"Hey!" Mike complained.

This started another bout of laughter, especially in the Alastair and Warren groups. The ones in Delphi were only acquainted with the more serious Amanda. Thus, this was a revelation of some kind.

Even Tim stared in wonderment at Amanda. He couldn't believe she did pranks, much less hatch them out. She was too serious and was always quiet around him, even during the frequent sleepovers she had with Liza when they were younger. For the longest time, he thought she disliked him, and in turn, he acted as if she didn't exist to protect himself. But, in hindsight (and more mature perspective), she never did nor said anything against him. Sure, she didn't seek him out, but even in her friendship with Liza, it was his sister who made the first overture. She was not unapproachable; she just didn't make the first move.

The truth was he was so insecure and thus afraid of her rejection. That caused him to make excuses and false conjectures to protect himself from that ever happening. And thus, here he was still a miserable coward, missing out in knowing her. I was such an idiot!

The subject of their musings, Amanda, was unperturbed by all the attention. She didn't even pay them any mind since she was busy multi-tasking. Two laptops were both running simultaneously with multiple programs on. Plus, her tablet was in front of her that had her checklist of things to do, so that she'd remain focused. However, Grant's arrival interested her enough to make finding the reason for his visit the top of her growing list.