The Song of the Oak

It was quiet in Oak Heath Woods. An unsettling quiet that put Sylvia on edge. She looked out the window of her tree house and saw the autumn leaves taking over the woods. She appreciated the beauty of the fall colors. Fall was her favorite season of the year, but she wished she had people to be happy about it with. All she had was herself.

Sylvia picked up the photo on her dresser, and stared at the picture of her family. The photo was taken the day before they left. Her mother on the left, and her father on the right. Placed between them was Sylvia, holding her baby brother, Alastair. They have been gone for a year.

It started to rain. Sylvia tried not to break down into tears that would consume her, but she couldn't help it. She crumpled to the ground feeling the heavy beat of rain coordinate with her heartbeat. She poured like the rain, and pounded her fists on the ground in agony.

There was nothing she could do. She would have to live the rest of her life like this. There is no reason for her to be living. Who is she living for? What is she living for?

Those were questions Sylvia continued to ask herself, but she could never find an answer.

She lay on the hardwood floor of the living room, staring up at the ceiling.

Tears poured out of her eyes, dripping down by her ears, making salty puddles on the wooden floor.

Her mind blanked.

・・・

She didn't know how long it was this time. To come back to reality and realize that she truly is living. She still felt broken. Her heart still shattered in a million pieces. 

"Run. Run like every fear is chasing you and your only choice is to get away," Sylvia heard her father's voice resonating through her skull.

She got up off the floor and ran out the door. She ran without thinking. She paid no attention to where she was going or what she was doing. Sylvia felt hard pellets of rain pounding on her sodden cheeks. The faster she ran, the louder she heard the trees whispering to her.

"You are worthless!" She heard one of the trees say.

"Ha ha ha. You're right, my friend! She has nobody. She does not need to live! She is pointless to the world," another said.

Sylvia believed them.

She didn't stop running. She couldn't stop, even if she wanted to. Sylvia let her thoughts chase her, but did not let them catch up to her. She hoped that her fears would wash away with the rain. Sylvia's legs were aching, and she felt herself slowing.

When she came to a stop, Sylvia peered open her eyes and saw a bright sliver of light peeking out of a crack in a tree trunk. Everywhere else was dark.

"Come, my friend. Come to the Great Oak. It is calling for you." A scratchy voice spoke to her from the direction of the light.

Sylvia looked around to see who was talking to her, but she could not see anyone.

"Who are you?" Sylvia asked.

"My name is Nettle."

"Where are you from?"

"I told you I am from the Great Oak."

Sylvia was shaking. She slowly walked towards the light. 

As Sylvia got closer, she realized the light was coming from a crack in a door. The door was in the trunk of the Great Oak. She was curious. Sylvia had run to the Great Oak many times before, but not once has she ever seen a door.