Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I took the late bus that left at ten after three home from school. I walked up my stone steps with my backpack slung over one of my shoulders. I turned around the corner and walked on my grassy hill. I clutched my key, which was capped with a key cap that was the head of Minnie Mouse, in my hand. I walked up the four steps and opened the gate to my house. I opened the screen door, and shoved my key in the lock. I turned it, and the door swung open, almost hitting the big light blue shelf that was packed all the way up to the top. Thankfully, it didn’t.

Since I didn’t have any homework, I said to myself, Alright Madison, no homework. What do you want to do? I thought for a minute. First, listen to your NOW 40 CD. Just relax. Then go downstairs and text some friends and watch some T.V. or a movie or whatever.

I did what I told myself to do. I walked forward into the large hall of my house. When you walked in, the first thing you saw was the large hall with the spiral staircase to the far left. If you followed the stairs with your eyes, you could see the spiral increase slowly. Then at the top, you see the second story of my house.

I live on Rosewood Drive. Every house on Rosewood was quite large. Every one has at least two stories, some three or even four, each one complete with its own deck and outdoor patio. I was lucky enough to get my own in ground pool.

When I walked though the kitchen I put my backpack on the little shelf in the cabinet. I put my keys on the key rack next to the counter, and grabbed an orange out of the fruit bowl that was on the edge of the counter. I walked through the kitchen, and the little hallway that was between the “recreation room” and the kitchen.

The “recreation room” is where we keep all the entertainment stuff. You know, the forty two inch flat screen T.V., the Wii, the Xbox, the air hockey table, and my personal favorite, the big surround sound stereo. I like to blast my music, so I really only listen to that one when no one else is in the house. And that was a lot.

My cousin Brielle lives with us. She’s nineteen so she is in college. Her parents live in Florida with the other three kids; Lindsey, Selena, and Carrie. Brielle moved in with us, here in Stanford, around six months ago. She moved here so that she could go to StanfordUniversity. She has a dorm there, but it’s being renovated right now. Instead of staying in some stinky rent room with five other girls, she just figured it would be easier to drive for ten minutes in the morning, so that’s how she ended up here.

Anyway, she doesn’t get home until about ten o’clock at night because she stays out with friends or does homework on campus. My dad does a lot of business so he’s away a lot. I mean, he’s here sometimes, so it’s not too bad. My mom works until about six o’clock on weekdays, so for the most part it’s just me. I actually really like it that way. I have the house to myself.

I went over to the stereo, and pressed the POWER button. I listened to a few songs, probably about six or seven, and then shut it off. I looked at the digital clock that was placed on the shelf. It was 4:03. I had about two hours until my mom would be home.

I went over to the vanilla icing colored couch that was as soft and as smooth as icing itself. I plopped myself down, took a deep breath, and sighed. Wow! School sure makes you tired, I thought. I sat up slowly and leaned forward to grab the remote off the cocoa colored table. I clicked the TV and then the CBL button on the iO remote. The first channel that I usually turn on is twenty eight. That’s TLC. I usually like the wedding shows the best. I don’t know why. I guess you could say I’m a hopeless romantic. And I guess that fact can be backed up pretty easily too. I mean, just look at my past. I’ve liked the same guy for ten years.