Lifting In Love

* This story is very near to my heart. Even though we never fully bloomed to our potential, our story will forever live on in my heart, mind and soul.*

Chapter 1: A change in schedule

Having to change you're whole course schedule around in the middle of the school year can be a real irritating process to go through. I mean you're finally getting comfortable with the people around you and hey, you're even starting to figure out shortcuts around the school, when boom- time to change you're whole life around. Okay, maybe that's an over statement but the transition really is just as bad.

This being my senior year and all, I have to meet a certain number of credits to graduate in June. So far I've been on the right track, music- check, computers- check, language- vérifier, and arts and communications - double check, I've been the photo editor of the Gators newspaper for the past two years and I've got to say owning that position has it's perks. But, alas the final credit I've been avoiding for the past four years of high school must be completed this semester- Personal fitness education.

So to be able to walk down the aisle on graduation day I must switch out of my computers course and into an all male weight lifting class. Of course, switching half way through the year, weight lifting would be the only PE class left with an open spot, what else could of I expected.

"You have no idea how bad I'm dreading next period, dude." I whined to Jess during lunch. The red haired, freckled face sitting across from the lunch table has been my best friend for the past two years, if anyone could feel my pain it should be her. "Don't worry, just sit there and read a book or something. I heard the coach doesn't make girls workout anyways." Explained Jess.

"Ugh, why do I have to be the only girl again? I mean not only do I NOT know any guy in that weight room but I have to sit there for a whole hour in a corner by myself?! Oh this is torture." I yelled before I put my head down on the table, I felt like I was over reacting just a bit when Jess rolled her eyes after my sentence, but it was all true. It's going to be a miserable time.

After lunch I headed over to Newspaper where Sam the editor in chief had been waiting for me at my computer. "What's up Sam?" I asked wondering what task she had assigned for me this time, "Not much, hey listen you know the pictures you took at the football game last week?"

"Yeah?" I nodded. "Well, were changing the cover story on the running back and considering interviewing the quarterback instead." She explained. I don't understand the fascination with our school's football team, I mean we've only won two games this season and I'm pretty sure there's more important topics this school needs to be informed about than: High School quarterback gets drafted into The University Of Florida.

"Oh okay, so what? You need me to go back out there this Friday?" I asked sadly knowing the answer. "I knew I didn't have to beg with you, have them ready for me by Saturday morning edited and cropped." Responded Sam as she walked back over to her desk.

One of the many perks of being the photo editor for the paper is being able to go to school functions and capture moments that others will get to see and remember later on, but being stuck outside in the humidity filled air, taking pictures of sweaty football players really isn't my favorite Kodak moment. But, a photographers gotta do what a photographers gotta do.

After the bell rung I knew it meant that next period was weight training. As I dragged myself across the school and into the gym hallway I found myself in front of the weight room door. The room was empty expect for tons of heavy machinery and I had no idea which machine worked out which body part. The last bell rings and I start to wonder where everyone is? Five minutes later a man wearing Jordan sneakers, basketball shorts and a long white t-shirt greets me from across the hallway.

"Yo, are you supposed to be here?" He yells.

"Um, yeah I just switched into Weight Training I. I'm looking for Coach Joe?" I asked in confusion, I wasn't so sure if that was the right name.

"Yeah, that's me. Everyone is in the locker room changing, so tomorrow bring in black basketball pants a white tee to change into and that's how I'll grade you for the next few months." He explained. I couldn't be more pleased with his grading system because as long as I wasn't made to work on those heavy machines then I'll be just fine.

We both walked into the weight room and I saw three chairs in the front of the room, Coach Joe takes the first one near a filing cabinet and I take the next one right across from his. This was me marking my territory, for the next three months, everyday I will sit in this chair reading the sixty minutes away.

One by one each huge, muscled, white t-shirted guy walked into the room, looking ready to attack the metal machines. I just started in awe, I've never really noticed the so called "Jocks" at this school before, even though yes, I do photograph them once in a while it's different watching them in here than in there natural habitat. I guess I just couldn't recognize them without their uniforms on.

As I tried to not be completely obvious staring, I couldn't help but listen to some of the guy conversation that was going on in the weight room, "Yo, did you watch the Dolphins game last night? The special teams is so fucked this season." Said one kid bigger than two of me put together. Many of the guys worked on their fitness, while surprisingly many chatted most of the time away arguing about sport teams and rap music. As soon as I was about to get back to reading "The Great Gatsby" I heard my named called.

"Lisa?" Said a familiar voice.

I put my head up from behind my book, it was Danny. A fellow communications major and the editor of the TV production at the school, I've met him during meetings and journalism functions. I had no idea he would be the one to spend his extra elective on a weight training class though.

"Oh hey! What's up?" I said a little embarrassed, since I was just sitting there by myself.

"Nothing about to lift, since when have you been in this class?" He asked looking down on me as I sat in my territorial chair.

"I just switched in today, I need the PE credit to graduate.. Or I won't be able to obviously." I said with a bit of sarcasm.

"Oh gotcha, well hey easy class you don't have to do anything." He smiled and walked back to the middle of the room to lift.

I looked back at the clock, is it possible it's only been twenty minutes? Oh the agony I thought. So I put down Great O' Gatsby to text Jess the pain I was going through, sitting in a room as the only female where men were socializing with one another and completely ignoring the fact that I was existing in the corner was all really depressing on my part. I texted Jess:

OMG, think I'm going to die!!! & NO! I'm not over using that exclamation mark!

I waited another five minutes hoping she would respond but she didn't. I felt completely alone when I noticed five guys arguing right next to Coach Joe and I, they were yelling about some rapper dissing some other guy in a song and debating which rapper is better.

 "Lil Wayne!" Yelled the guy in the corner. "Hell no, Jay-Z has been owning since the 90's!" Responded the huge sophomore.

As I rolled my eyes and started to rise up the book to my face I quickly noticed someone lifting in the back, as I stared from behind my book, he was slowly making himself to the front of the room. He had short brown hair, at least 5'11, green hazel eyes and a smile that literally brighten up the darkness of that weight room. As I was catching my breath, there he was sitting in the third chair next to me.

*Chapter soon!* 2: The Infatuation- Coming soon!*