Prologue

Hi! This is my first fan-fiction. Please don't judge if it isn't good! (PS you would have to read The Hunger Games before you read this. Sorry, but it wouldn't make much sense if you didn't know what was going to happen.)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A smile spread across my face as I checked my calender. Reaping day. Best day of the year.

I've been training for this day my whole life. This year, I'm going to be in the Hunger Games. If I'm not picked, I'll volunteer.

I was almost chosen from the clear crystal ball District 1 makes last year. I just couldn't believe my ears when Micka announced, "Glimmer Sparklewits". As I proudly made my way on to the stage- well, almost- a very familiar voice shouted, "I volunteer as tribute."

And who could it have been but my older sister, Glitter. I've never really had a close bond with her. In fact, she hates my guts; she knew I desperately wanted to let my killing skills show. But no. Glitter always has to take everything from me.

She won. I guess that was okay. But this year, I wanted to be a victor, too. Nothing was going to stand in my way.

After signing in, the citizens of District 1 sit in the jewel-encrusted love seats the Peacekeepers put out every year. Micka Stanfree plays the boring Capitol video and gets right down to buisness. The people here are impatient.

"I hope you get picked, Glimmer," my best friend Emerald whispers. "You're a natural fighter." I smile at her.

"Ladies first," is all I bother to here Micka say. She reaches her professionally-maincured hand into the crystal ball with the girl's names in it. Mine's there only 5 times.

"Please be me, please be me, please be me," I beg, eyes closed and hands folded.

Micka unfolds the paper slip. "Emerald Moonstone."