Katie

2020, 3rd January

Dover, United Kingdom.

Katie

"Mum. Your going the wrong way."

I try to tell her as she turns the car yet again down the wrong road the sat nav clearly directs her not to take.

"I'm sorry- It's not my fault the directions on here are so bloody small."

She laughs pushing her thick lensed glasses up the same time I do. Hearing Robbie my little brother still snoring quietly in the backseat as we make the long journey from London to Dover. It only felt like it was just only a couple of hours ago that we said goodbye to our friends back at our old house, my heart aching from the emotional pull leaving my best friend and secret long crush Mike. Both of us haven grown up together since we were kids, meeting in primary school where we use to trade lunches. Because mum couldn't remember that I hated Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which thank god they banned from one person having an allergic reaction to it. But now here we were travelling to a place that I have never seen or visited just because mum got a job offer, that she could not refuse. It was more money and far less hours meaning she would have more time for us which she wanted though she had offered to do any extra hours they had available, wanting to give off the best impression she could. My mum had worked hard throughout my whole life, with my dad bailing on us since Robbie was born which was 7 years ago, being the older sister it was my job to watch out for my younger brother who suffers from social anxieties. It was rare for a day where I wouldn't see the redness in his eyes where he had been crying when I picked him up from outside the school gates. Other kids being to young to understand his condition, the doctor calling it selective mutism. Where he would choose to only talk to certain people that he was comfortable around, which was no one apart from me, mum and eventually Mike over time.

"Your going to love the house. It was just newly refurbished as well from the previous house owners meaning we don't have to a single thing to it. But knowing you, you'll probably want to repaint your whole bedroom."

Not even seeing the pictures online of the house I can't help but get excited. My mother knew me well, I loved to draw, paint there was no way that I wasn't going to express my creative artistic side that I had sadly inherited from my father which I know makes my mum sad every time she looks at new pieces I put together.

"The schools aren't too far either for both of you. There's also a little shop that sells paint a couple of roads down, maybe we can check it out once we get unpacked?"

She nudges me as we turn left at a mini roundabout.

"Sure."

Tapping on my phone to open the home screen I look at the new messages that were sent to me, all of them from Mike.

Mike:'I miss you so much already. Really wish you didn't have to leave, now who am I going to copy answers from in sixth form.'

A goofy smile playing on my lips as I type back a response. Something hits the window screen jolting me from my seat as mum breaks hard. The car slightly swerving as a black dot passes my eyes. What the hell. Was that a raven? Stupid birds, I swear they were on a suicidal mission.

"Are you okay?"

Mum asks me as she restarts the engine. I look back to Robbie who now is fully awake and staring at us,

"Birdie."

Looking back at mum I nod as she turns the car back into drive and pulls off. Ten minutes go by after the bird incident as we pass the green and white Dover sign, the trees empty as the winter weather takes it toll. We drive further into the town as we follow the directions and signs for town center hoping it wasn't to busy that we couldn't find a spot to park in knowing mum want to hop by where she was going to work and get some groceries. On the thought of food my stomach begins to growl not eaten since late last night when we had finally finished packing.

Tall old buildings surround us as mum parks the car into an empty spot. Turning the engine off she looks to me and then Robbie,

"Fifteen minutes, that's how much time you have to look around but you must get your butts back to the car. Okay? And both of you stay together, yes I'm looking at you Robbie and no you can't go drinking at the first pub you see."

Moving her hands, she tickles his stomach. The sounds escaping from his lips are full of laughter as he tries to push her away. His eyes gleaming as she finally gives up and withdraws backwards. Looking through her handbag, she pulls her purse out within a few minutes she hands me a few notes of cash.

"Buy something nice for yourselves, I want you both to be happy here. I want this to feel like a home for us."

She smiles opening her car door, the car door shutting closed behind her as she leaves us both to venture out into the unknown.