Chapter Nine- Thank You For The Venom

I woke up with Jake's arms around me. Disorientated, I only realised we must have fallen asleep still in his parents' room when my bleary eyes finally focused. Then I slowly propped myself up on my elbows, keeping within Jake's grasp though I was careful not to wake him, and simply watched him for a while. He was so manic in everyday life that I forgot there were times when he was still.

 Jake's mouth was slightly parted as he slept, his breath tickling its way across my puny but toned bicep. I tried to be as gentle as possible when pushing back his fringe which had fallen into his face, but his eyes flickered open anyway. It was impossible not to smile down at him as he slowly woke up.

 "Morning." he whispered and then yawned.

 "Actually I think it's late afternoon." I corrected him.

 He withdrew his arms from around me in order to stretch and I noticed that I didn't feel the same sort of loss I felt whenever George would stop touching me. Perhaps it was like we had said earlier, that we loved each other but weren't in love. Jake definitely didn't make my heart ache the same way George did...

 We both relaxed back down on top of the bed covers and this time I put my arm around him. The house was silent, which was very unusual. Normally there was so much chaos you couldn't think straight.

 "D'you think anyone's here?" I asked him.

 "Probably not. After breakfast Bryan went to Leila's, Rich went home and I think Lisa went back with George to his house." He sniffed. "Ms Foster's still not doing too well."

 I sighed. "No surprise there."

 After a while I stood up and stretched to click my back, then offered a hand to help him up. Together we walked downstairs to the kitchen. The kettle was switched on to make coffee, the Unknown Pleasures Joy Division album was put in the living room CD player and as the first track- Disorder- started to ooze through the speakers we both sat at the kitchen table, lit up cigarettes and stared at each other. I smiled.

 "So," Jake's eyes sparkled in their mischievous way. "how was the high?"

 I took a drag on my cigarette as I contemplated my answer. "Incredible. I mean, we've all smoked pot together before, but MD... man, that was something else."

 "Did you get the weightless feeling?"

 "Fuck yeah."

 We grinned at each other and it felt amazing. The others would never talk to me the same way Jake did. There was something dirty about it, controversial. George would probably never talk to me properly about drugs and alcohol again, not after what happened to Matt. Rich understood the way I was feeling but wanted me to leave my demons behind me, and Bryan just wasn't about all that emotional talk.

 Instead of making Jake wait on me like he normally did, I made the coffee and put two strawberry pop tarts in the toaster. Drinking our coffees in silence, I watched as he practically swallowed his breakfast whole before I pushed my own pop tart towards him.

 "You sure?" he asked. I nodded. "Alright man, but if you're not careful you're gonna lose all that weight again..."

 "I'm fine."

 "I can make you something else to eat if you-"

 "I'm fine."

 "Wait- just listen to what we've got in the fridge. We've got, uh... guacamole?"

 "Jake-"

 "Jam?"

 "Jake stop-"

 "Water?"