Chapter Twenty-Two

Aravena

Aravena

Silence engulfed both of us as we sat in the study. The aftermath of finally discovering Valendard's secret had surprisingly calmed in for the first time since last night.

I wanted to mull over his words, trace the intensity of his tone for any sign of deception while he relayed the incident. Yes. Only Superior Strength knew how desperately I wanted those green eyes to give away the lie he was sprouting from his lips.

But that was the thing. I couldn't.

His witty tongue might lie but the way his green eyes were flickering when he spoke of angst, of agony for leaving his life behind, it was too much. No human could betray such emotions with their eyes. And, certainly not Nathaniel.

However, as much as I had hoped, this revelation only helped tangling the mess more instead of answering my questions. First off, was it just sheer luck Gunderson had found Valendard on that random market? Or there was something more to the story?

That merchant certainly had his contacts and as a local, someone must have informed him about a struggling wrestler who was giving a free demonstration in public. Where else would Gunderson have found such an easy prey to pounce on such short notice?

"Well, Valendard, did you know if Gunderson had any loca-"

A soft knock startled me as I looked toward the door with a frown.

Which knuckle-head decided to bother now!

"Come in."

Door creaked as the guard I had requested slid through the gap.

Oh, great.

He gently closed the door with a thud before turning around. His brown eyes widened as he gathered the unladylike posture I was in but said nothing.

I could only clench my jaw and brought down my leg from the couch with as much grace as I could muster. Valendard swiftly looked away as I caught his lips struggling to twitch.