~ S I X T Y - O N E ~

"Speak

"Speak."

Keefe shifted his weight onto his other foot. "It's not even that important, Foster."

She glared at him, wanting nothing more than to read his mind and pluck out everything she needed from his head.

Patience, Sophie.

She had wasted no time after finally being given clearance to leave her room. Forkle had been interrogating her for days about the elixir the Neverseen had given her, but she remembered nothing but the needles. Everyone else had visited her from time to time, but she'd suspected this was only because Edaline gave them free custard bursts when they came.

It wasn't like Sophie could really blame them.

She'd arrived at Alluveterre once she was sure Grady had quite his overprotective-dad surveillance, shoved open the gates and to the boys' treehouse where she knew Keefe was staying.

She had questions.

And she wanted answers.

Preferably without having to resort to her pre-planned torture device.

She crossed her legs and pointed her chin up in a business manner, but Keefe didn't budge.

"Come on, if it's not important then you have literally nothing to worry about. Spit it out."

He frowned at her. "Why do you want to know, anyway?"

"Because the Neverseen never make anything that's easy. And I'm so done with the lies."

He looked at her for a moment, his eyes traveling up and down her face before he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I told them I'd bring you back to them."

Sophie blanched. She hadn't expected it to be that easy.

And she hadn't expected him to be truthful.

But it all made sense now. The Neverseen wouldn't have gotten anything out of her if she had died, and they knew the Black Swan would somehow be able to save her.

And they knew that the Black Swan would trust Keefe.

"Whoa, whoa," Keefe almost shouted, grabbing her before she slipped off the bed. "You don't seriously think I'd do that, do you?"

"I honestly don't know what you would or wouldn't do anymore." she whispered, and the hurt in his eyes made her feel almost sorry, but she didn't regret her words.

"Fair point, I guess. But really, Foster. I'm not going to take you back."

Sophie searched his face carefully, but he looked sincere as he held her gaze.

But he had looked sincere the last time she had trusted him too.

"Fine, I'll prove it to you," Keefe muttered, glancing around the room before his eyes came to rest on the clothing article in the corner. He picked up the black Neverseen cloak, and, without any hesitation, shredded it.

Sophie blinked in surprise. "Um..that was so unnecessary."

Keefe's eyes never left hers. "You didn't believe me."

"Fine, maybe you did scrap a perfectly nice cloak. What difference does that make?"

"I can go back to their hideout and tell them I'm quitting the whole evil gig."

"Be serious, Keefe."

"I'll even get down and beg." He didn't look like he was joking.

Sophie grimaced. "Are you being for real?"

Keefe's face was earnest. "I'm being serious, Foster. I know I made a mistake and I know I'll never be able to fix it."

Sophie swallowed hard. She hadn't even noticed how close they'd gotten. Her heart drummed loudly as he took another step so that their faces were almost touching.

Keefe's voice was barely more than a whisper in her ear as he spoke.

"But that doesn't mean I'll stop trying."

~~~

SO I THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE ALL SWEET AND ROMANTIC

BUT I LITERALLY CANT STOP LAUGHING RN LMAOAO

- r i y a
11/29/20

- r i y a11/29/20