49 of 53 - A Desperate Battle

Webb knew the explosion he heard from outside had to be Milos and Ofelia and their two boat crews engaging with whomever Danno had guarding the facility dock. The surprise stunned all of them for a second, but then he saw a look of determination cross Robin's expression.

She launched herself forward, diving down the remaining four or five steps. Danno, who had been holding on to her, got jerked off balance and lost his footing. He went down.

Webb grabbed his handgun still at his feet where he dropped it and went through the door to the lab. He immediately turned and using the door jamb as a shield aimed at Nico who remained above them on the landing.

Nico hesitated probably not wanting to take a shot because Danno was getting up and would be in the line of fire.

Before Nico could pull the trigger, Webb shot him center mass.

While Webb's three companions quickly subdued Danno, Webb cursed and ran up the stairs to tend to Nico who was down on his back. An ever-enlarging pool of blood bloomed beneath him.

Webb got to his knees and supported Nico's head. "Damn it, look what you made me do."

The dying man met his gaze. "That's the third time you bested me." A smile formed on his lips. "Three strikes and I'm out." Then the light left his eyes.

With Cassandra's safety being Webb's primary concern, he couldn't take the time to dwell on his killing of a former teammate, but it did anger and sadden him.

"What do we do with him?" Mick asked, meaning Danno.

"Bring him out to the lab. We'll sit him in a corner where we can keep an eye on him with his wrists and ankles zip tied." Webb looked at Danno. "Shame about Nico. He was a good man."

Danno nodded but said nothing.

"That was good thinking," Webb said to Robin, "but you really need to get out of here while you can. If anyone on the mainland saw or heard the explosion, they likely called it in."

"Thanks," Rafe said to Robin as she dashed up the stairs taking them two at a time to leave.

"Let's go," Webb uttered. He led the way through the lab door. The rest followed.

Tables filled with equipment and gurneys stood in their way. Two rooms led from the far wall. Doors were closed to both.

"I've been here before," Webb said. "The room to the left is imaging. It contains x-ray machines, an MRI, and other scanners. The room to the right is where they'll likely be. It's Doctor Armando's inner sanctum."

He looked at Danno sitting on the floor. "Is that where they are?"

Danno remained silent.

Webb telephoned Milos to coordinate. He put him on speaker.

Sounding winded, Milos said, "We came in hot. A big guy in a speedboat shot over our heads in an attempt to get us to stop. I don't think he meant to kill us, but one of my guys got excited and tossed a grenade into his boat." Milos paused. "He's gone. The speedboat is in pieces."

Webb looked at Danno. "Was it Razzy in the speedboat?"

Danno nodded.

"It's just you and Claudia now. Where is Claudia? I don't want to shoot her too."

Danno sighed. "With Armando and the girl."

"What do you want us to do?" Milos asked over the phone speaker.

"Secure the dock and stand by." He ended the call.

Webb knelt beside Danno. "It's over. Call Claudia out and you have my word I'll let you go. Nobody else needs to die tonight."