Chapter 16

"That can't be a coincidence," Derek muttered.

"No, I don't think so. It's ridiculous that's what it is." Stiles ruffled a hand through his hair. "The sandman? No, dude. That's way too bizarre an idea. I thought I was totally done when Jackson was a lizard but now—now I'm so done not even Jesus could convince me not to be done."

"Well it's not the "sandman" like you know it. It's a sleep spirit." Derek sat down at Stiles' computer and opened Google. He typed in a name: Morpheus. "Morpheus is the Greek God of Sleep and he's the leader of a set of spirits called the Oneiroi who take human form and deliver dreams to mortals. Mostly prophetic dreams, but sometimes nightmares. It depends on where they come from."

Stiles took a breath. "So what about the deaths? The eyes?"

"You said yourself there were legends of an evil sandman that took children's eyes. I read the same thing—evil spirits that took the human soul though the eyes, consequently taking the eyes with them."

Stiles sat on his bed. "Why is it invisible then? Why now? What about Scott?"

Derek blew out a breath. "I don't know."

"It's got to have something to do with this professor," Stiles said after a tense moment. "Whatever he was doing in the forest."

Derek blinked. "We have to look for Isaac."

Stiles threw a sweater over his Batman tee and then pulled on a jacket. "We're taking my car."

"I was in your car. It's a wreck waiting to happen."

Stiles whipped around just before they were about to descend the stairs. "Don't insult my baby."

"Or wha—did you just flick my forehead?" Derek rubbed the center of his forehead.

Stiles raised a brow.

"Okay, sorry..."

"Good." Stiles trampled down the stairs...and then stopped.

Derek nearly smacked into his back. "Why are you—oh."

Stiles swallowed. His father was on the couch fast asleep. There was a light blue sheen under his eyes. Tentatively, he strode over and put a hand on his father's arm. "Dad. Dad." He gave him a little shake. Swallowing again, he glanced back at Derek.

Derek shook his head. "There's no time."

"Derek, this is my dad."

"He'll be fine. You said so yourself."

Stiles let out a shaky breath. "I wasn't sure okay. I mean, logically...but...what if?"

Derek sighed and pulled out his phone. He dialed Dr. Deaton's number again.

"Did it work?"

"Yes it did. He's awake. But his father isn't."

A short pause on the other side. "Same thing as Stiles?"

"Yes. But we have to continue looking for Isaac. We think whatever monster is causing this is out there in the forest. Just...will he die if we leave him?"

"I don't think so. Look, Derek, the smart thing to do is to look for whatever is causing this and destroy it. I believe that the magical properties in the blue secretion are directly connected with the monster. If you kill it, it may reverse the symptoms completely. And it may restore your wolves."

Derek let out a breath. "Thank you."

"And—wait. Derek."

Derek put the phone back to his ear. "What?"