Chapter 5

LUKE

I offer my arm to Meg and get going to get her to her room.

'So you live in the palace?' I ask her, really confused about the way she is related to the royals.

'Well, my dad is a cousin of our former Queen Luna and my brother is the Beta Prince. I have grown up surrounded by the Royal family. I have a room here that is permanently assigned to me but I live with my family in the house next to the palace.'

I look at her and realize that I have done that more than a million times this evening. She is really beautiful. Her hair seems almost golden, as it was made off sun rays. Every time she looks at me I feel lost in the depth of her eyes.

We walked over to the stair on the second floor and I stop.

'What are you doing?' she asks, confused.

'Tuesday told us we are not allowed to enter the third floor.'

She giggles.

'It is ok. First of all, you are the son of the Alpha of Sky Pack. No one would do anything to you. And secondly, you are with me. If you want to make it official to feel better, we can do that.

I look at her like she is crazy. 'Official?'

She laughs and steps one step away from me.

'Give me your hands.'

I stretch my arms so I can hold her hands and when our skin touches, I feel a sparkle and little tingles on my palms. She winces at me and I pretend I felt nothing.

'Lucas Hastings, son of the Alpha of the Sky Pack. I, Megan Viotto, officially invite you to enter the third floor.'

I scan her face to find out whether she is making fun of me or not. When she breaks her poker face by lifting one corner of her mouth I start laughing.

'Stop making fun of me. I just don't want to get anyone upset by breaking any of the rules.'

She smiles and we continue our walk upstairs. The third floor is simpler than the other two floors as it doesn't need to be as representative. We walk around the doors and she tells me what room belongs to who.

'This is Camille's. She moved out of the Alpha couple's room when Will's dad, our Alpha King, died. She is trying to be brave but I can see it on her face that she misses him every day.'

'This one belongs to Will. It had to be next to mine as we've been best friends since we were kids and spent all the time playing together.'

'And this one is mine,' she says when we stop in front of a simple white door.

'I guess that is where we part. Good night, Meg.'

'Good night, Luke. See you tomorrow at my party.'

She smiles at me and as I gather up all my courage, I put my hands on her arms and pull myself closer to her. When she leans closer too, I don't hesitate and press my lips on hers. I feel her ponder about it for a little bit but then she reciprocates my kiss. I put one of my hands around her waist as my other hand moves up behind her neck. She brushes my hair with her fingers and for a minute, everything is perfect.

Until she stops.

She parts our lips and bodies and just stares with horror behind me.

'Luke, I-' she starts but before she can continue, I see Ryan walking up the stairs.

'Hello, Beta Ryan,' I say, trying not to think about my hair, probably sticking out from my head in all directions.

'Please, just Ryan. Since you may be the next Alpha of one of the packs on this continent, I think our ranks are the same, if not yours higher.'

I try to say something else but instead, I yawn. I see Meg do the same.

'I am sorry, I am very tired,' I apologize and turn to Megan,' but talk tomorrow?'

'Yes, definitely. Good night, Luke.'

'Good night, Meg. Good night, Bet- Ryan.'

I turn and as I start walking down the stairs I hear, very quietly, as she repeats to herself. 'Good night, Luke.'

MEGAN

Omg. What just happened?I like hiiim, can he be our mate? Accalia whines in my head.No, we have Will.But he is soo.. well.. not Luke. I like him more. I feel like there is something that's pushing me toward him.'Megan, are you listening to me?''No?' I try to say it as a question but I know my brother. I am not getting any sympathetic points.'Can you tell me what was he doing here, at midnight, looking like something happened between you two?'I don't know how to answer so I just remain silent.'Megan, you are hopefully getting your destined mate tomorrow. You should be acting like that. Not hiding with random people at random places.''What are you talking about? What "people"?''Oh, don't pretend you are innocent. I know about your fling with Will. You both try to hide it but I am neither blind nor stupid.'I don't say anything and just look at him, guilt in my eyes.'Megan, I don't want to sound harsh but you know that you may not be Will's destined mate, right? And if that happens, he can't make you his Luna Queen?''I know. I just hope everything works out and I am the one chosen for him by the Moon Goddess.''You know what? Go to your room, get some sleep, and tomorrow we will know. It is not worth it speculating about what if. We will have a talk tomorrow after the party when we will be smarter.''Thank you, Ryan, you always know how to make me feel better.'I hug him and head over to my room. Before I can make it to my bed, I hear someone stepping outside of it. Suddenly there is a list of paper slipped under the door and that someone walks away.I take the paper, unfold it and there is a letter written with a handwritting I know really well.Megan,I am sorry I didn't spend the night with you. I wish we could talk right now but my mom has something very urgent to discuss with me and I need to go to talk to her.Get some sleep, tomorrow is your big day. Well, I hope it will be OUR big day.XOXO,Will (and Liam)I fold the paper and put it into the drawer in my desk.I miss Liam. Accalia hasn't gone for a run with Liam for ages. I think it is time to fix that.Will? I use my mind link with him.Yeah? I am heading to my mother.I wanted to thank you for your letter. Would you like to go for a run with me tomorrow morning? Accalia misses Liam like crazy.There is a silence for a bit and when I start to worry I get a reply.I would love to. 7 am sounds good? Also, sorry for the delayed answer. Liam was so happy I almost lost my control for a bit.Ok. See ya at 7. Kisses to both you and Liam.Kisses to Accalia and more than that to you.I smile, lie down on the bed and the moment my head touches the pillow, I fall asleep.