Chapter 2

Being in a small school, Evan never really had a chance to excel in his true talent - the double bass. After spending countless hours of research, I finally found him an orchestra, the All State Ohio Orchestra which met every other weekend in Columbus. At first, Evan wasn't sure about driving an hour and a half just to play, but after one rehearsal, he knew it was perfect for him. He truly was talented, only fourteen upon joining, in a group full of adults. Many of whom were professionals.I sat back in my chair and let Vivaldi's "Spring" put me in a peaceful trance.

An hour later, when the performance had finished, I walked out of the grand hall and into the overwhelmingly bright sunlight.I felt sort of bad for marching straight out of there and not socializing with the overly decorated 50-somethings, blatantly ignoring their attempts at conversing with me.I put my hand over my eyes to shield out the light, I had become increasingly sensitive to it the more I tossed and turned at night. I inwardly cursed myself for forgetting my sunglasses as I found a bench to sit at.

I hadn't been myself lately. The dreams have been occurring more often than usual, and most times, with increased ferocity and realism. Just the previous night, I had dreamt that I was the killer of a teenaged girl. Usually, I would be watching the attacks, as if my eyes were a camera to see what was happening, but not be seen by the victim or culprit. Honestly, it scared me to death to look down and see a pair of hands wrapped around the cream-colored neck of a girl from Nebraska and realize they were my own. Except, the weren't really mine, I was just somehow transported into the killer's body. It was all too complicated. I woke up in a cold sweat, struggling to grasp what is reality.

"Hey, I am so glad you made it!" Evan said, slinging his arm over my shoulder.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," I smiled. I really wouldn't. I knew Evan would be there for me for anything I ever needed. He was just like that, basically the kindest guy in the universe.

I felt bad sometimes, I was never the friend to him that he was to me. He was always the "here-to-catch-you-when-you-fall" type, not to mention his ability to look past my reputation. I, on the other hand, was always too busy decoding my nightmares and hiding from the horrors of high school to be a good friend. I talked to him about it once, but he insisted that I was no burden to him and "that's what friends do". Attending his concert was but a small token of my gratitude, the very least I could do for him.

"So, want to go get something to eat? I am starved." Evan said, easing his instrument into his family's van.

"Sure. How about Sal's?" I asked. Sal's was a hole-in-the-wall burger joint we discovered on the way home from a concert of his once. We were looking for a gas station when we stumbled upon it. The smell of grease and french fries pulled us in, and after one order of fries we were hooked.

When I pulled up to the restaurant, I waited for Evan to arrive in his car before getting out. Though this part of town wasn't known for crime or anything, it was still sketchy enough for me not to want to go in alone. 

We were lead to a big booth in the corner that had big, red and white striped seat cushions. The whole booth could have sat a medium-sized family, but seeing as how we had arrived just after the usual lunch rush, nobody seemed to be vying for our seat. 

"Hi, welcome to Sal's. I'm Cathy. Have you two been here before?" Our server smiled.

"Yup," Evan and I said in unison before laughing.

"Okay, well can I get your drink orders started?" She asked.

"Sure," Evan answered. "Actually, I think we're ready to order."

"Okay, sweet thing," Cathy laughed, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "I'm listening."

"We'll take two large milkshakes, one strawberry and one chocolate for drinks," Evan began. "Then we'd like to start with an order of fried mozzarella, and for the entrees can we get one chili burger with onion rings and a regular burger with fries and no pickles?"

"Sure thing," Cathy said, underlining something on her notepad. "The milkshakes will be out in about 5 minutes."

"Thanks," Evan grinned before turning to me. "So, did you enjoy the concert?" He asked.

"Of course," I said, unrolling the napkin on my place-setting and taking out my silverware. "I always do. Hey, how did you remember my order? We haven't been here in, like, 3 months."

Evan shook his head and chuckled. "There are some things, Amy, I could only remember about you."

About me, huh? I mused to myself. That's why I love you, Ev.

"Here are your shakes," A girl who looked about our age said. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a bun, and she had on the Sal's uniform. "Chocolate?"

"For her." Evan said, pointing to me.

"And then a strawberry for you. Enjoy." The girl set down the milkshake and backed away. I could feel Evan's eyes on me, but I couldn't stop staring at the girl. I couldn't place my finger on it, but I knew I had seen her before.

"You okay?" Evan asked, snapping me back into reality. 

"Yeah," I replied, swirling my straw in circles. "I'm fine."

---

Author's note: Boring chapter, I know. Don't kill me! More is coming soon <3