7. Blended Chorus

"Every man needs his Siren to check his courage and strength when he hears her song in his travels through the unknown."

-    Dejan Stojanovic

Elijah Davis

When we step into the function, we're immediately greeted by maybe a hundred or more bodies tightly packed inside of a house. Music was blasting so loud you could hear it from down the block. Not to be a buzzkill, but I was praying the party would get shut down sooner rather than later. Everyone was dancing and seemed to be having a great time. Everyone except for me, who was basically forced here against my will.

During the whole car ride, I began to wonder if this is what my life would be like for the next few days. I mean, hopefully, tomorrow the witch that Miss River set us up with could help, but what if she didn't want to? How long would I be stuck following Lia's every whim?

Jaxon Walking toward us pulled me out of my thoughts. "Hey! Y'all made it." He dapped me up quickly before turning to Aurelia. "I was starting to get worried you weren't gonna come."

She flashed that smile that he couldn't seem to resist. "Oh, so you were looking out for me."

He rocked back on his heels. "Maybe." God, this was pathetic. I didn't understand how she enjoyed this little game of cat and mouse. What's worse is that I fell for it just a day ago. I guess that meant that I was pathetic too, but I'm trying to forget that.

"Umm... do you wanna maybe dance?" Jax held his hand out for her to take.

"Sure." As they walked away, she turned to give me a little wave. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

As they start dancing, I make my way across the room to get a drink. I've decided to keep a close eye on Lia all night. She clearly can't be trusted to make sane decisions alone. Although alcohol would be great after the last two days I've had, my conscious tells me that water would be smarter right now, and I just have to agree. I need to be sober to deal with the evil mermaid I've got on my hands.

Lia and her new boy toy seemed to be having a great time basically dry-humping on the dance floor. They swayed their hips in synchronicity as she draped her arms over his shoulders, and he placed his hands right above her hips. I could've sworn there was an imaginary spotlight on them like they were the main characters of some cheesy teen romance.

They spun around for the millionth time and as Aurelia's face came into view, I could see her eyes had changed color once again. Violet. It was a color I had seen before. I pulled my phone from my back pocket and opened my notes app. I needed to start keeping a record of stuff.

Red - kill/murder

Hazel – normal?

Blue - ?

Violet - ?

I wasn't 100% sure, but her eyes might signify how she was feeling. Maybe her eyes now mean she's gonna try and kill Jax too. Or maybe something else. I tried to think. Maybe it means she's... horny?

Violet - Horny

I erased the word and replaced it with a question mark. It felt weird having that on my phone. I wondered if Jax noticed the difference in her eyes. I took a sip of my water as I continued to watch them dance and talk.