Week Two: Harvey's Advice

Now, as part of beginning of the year staff training, Edam had been taught exactly what to do in this situation. You were supposed to make yourself big by putting your arms above your head and make lots of noise. Bears couldn't see too well and they'd, in theory, get scared and run away.

        But instead of doing this like a good little nature boy he rapidly closed the distance between him and the bear swiftly wrapping his arms around the bear's neck in a tight embrace. "Hey Harvey," Edam greeted the bear fondly.

        "Edam, it's been ages since I've see you." The bear said, playfully nipping at the boy's dark locks causing Edam to smile. "How's my favorite human?"

        The smile fell from Edam's face and he sighed.

        Harvey's ear twitched. He might not have the best eyesight but he knew exactly what that sigh meant. There were troubles. With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for people. And lately the person causing all the trouble seemed to be somebody named Jerry. He kept on storming off and leaving Edam alone and confused.

        The bear lay down on the ground. "How about you sit down with me and tell me what's wrong," he patted the ground next to him, offering the human a seat.

        "I just don't understand why he's like that," the man began. And Harvey realized that Jerry had stormed off yet again. Shouldn't have been much of a surprise to the bear. Lately every time Edam found him it was because he wanted to talk about another confusing situation with Jerry.

        "Well, what were you doing this time?" Harvey asked trying his best to understand the human's problems.

        Edam sighed, "He wanted me to join him stargazing tonight. And I told him I couldn't."

        Harvey had a feeling the situation was more complicated than Edam just made it. "Is that exactly what he said?"

        "Well, no," Edam admitted.

        "What were his exact words?" the bear pressed.

        "He asked if I would like to spend an evening under the stars with him," the man's face was tinted a light pink.

        Over the last few weeks he had gotten the sense that this Jerry fellow liked Edam a great deal more than a simple friend liked someone.  And Harvey knew his suspicions were correct. He decided it was time to tell Edam.

        But what did humans call something like that?  Bears called it wooing.  It was a game of sorts. Would Edam know what he meant if he called it that?  Oh well, Edam was smart.  He'd figure it out. "It sounds like he's trying to woo you."

        "What?" Edam asked in a disbelieving hush.

        "Well, there was this sweet black bear I liked and I invited her to eat berries with me, told her she'd taste paradise or something like that.  We've had a thing for a little while now.  If I were human I suppose I'd like to look at the stars with someone who was special to me."

        Edam didn't say anything for a while.  He looked lost in thought.  "Do you really think that could be what's wrong with him?" He sounded unsure.

        Harvey knew Edam was skeptical.  He knew that it was hard for people to be open about their feelings.  It was hard for bears too.  And not everyone was understanding of relationships between members of the same sex.  Harvey was an old bear, but his mama had taught him that everyone was the same, no matter who they loved.  The important thing was that they loved.  Of course her insistence could have had something to do with his uncle falling in love with a Sassafras tree.  But to each their own…

        His advice to Edam was, "Next time he asks you to do something accept his offer… Or maybe make one yourself and see what happens.  I'm sure by the end of your little rendezvous you'll know whether he likes you or not."

        A small smile graced Edam's features.  It warmed the old bear's heart to see such a serene expression on the human's face.  "Thanks, Harvey."  He climbed to his feet and Harvey knew that meant it was time for Edam to get back to main camp.  "I need to head back for supper.  Oh and remember, cookout is Thursday this week.  Stay away from camp that day."

        Harvey gave an indignant snort, "I'm not going anywhere near there that day.  Learned my lesson last time, thank you very much.  After they tranqued me it took me days to find my way back here." Obviously, still a sore subject for the bear.  Edam chuckled lightly.

        He walked back to main camp and made his way to the mess hall.  Once there he snuck into the kitchen to grab his food and run.  He didn't like eating with so many people.  And the cook liked him so she often had food wrapped up and ready for him to grab.  He's pretty sure the cook thinks he's anthropophobic.

        When he was about to leave the kitchen Jerry sauntered in the door.

        Edam went to continue out the door, but stopped when a warm hand wrapped around his arm. "Edam, wait."

        He turned to look at Jerry.

        The man had a pitiful puppy dog look on his face.  Edam gave an inward sigh.  It was no fair using a face like that.  He'd listen to pretty much anything the man had to say after seeing that pathetic face.

        "I'm sorry about earlier. It's just… You always seem so busy.  And I've been trying since camp started to have some time alone with you," the man kind of trailed off at the end. Edam was just barely able to make out what he said.

        And truthfully he hadn't even realized that Jerry had asked him to hang out on more than one occasion.  The first couple weeks of the summer had been rough in terms of set up.  He apologized for his lack of time.

        Jerry nodded his head and let go of Edam's arm.

        Before he could change his mind or think more on the situation Edam opened his mouth and initiated an invite, "I'll be free on Friday.  If you can stay the weekend we could go stargazing then."

        Jerry's face lit up with a dazzling smile and Edam's stomach did a flip-flop.  He gave his own little smile and quickly scurried out of the kitchen to eat dinner in the comfort of his shack.

************************************

On the side is a picture of Harvey because that's clearly who everyone reading this wants to see...