Chapter 7

Momoko's mother's eyes lit up when she saw Ruki enter the restaurant. "Shiroiwa!" she called, "I didn't know you were out with Momoko! What a pleasant surprise!" 

Much to Ruki's relief, after that, Momoko's mom's focus was soon taken off of Ruki and relocated to a small group of customers who had entered the restaurant. Momoko set off into the kitchen to find something for both of them to eat. 

Momoko soon emerged with two Nice Burger signature burgers, and the odd pair sat in relative silence as they ate. Ruki's mind was still reeling from the afternoon's events. He was still trying to figure out what he was even doing here in the first place and why he didn't just go home.

Ruki wasn't really someone who broke rules, so he wondered why he had broken so many just to try to show his goodwill toward Momoko. And there was the other matter. Why the hell had he been grabbing Momoko's hand and wrist like that? Why had he had the urge to kiss Momoko? 

It wasn't that he was repulsed by Momoko. She was pretty; she had been very helpful to him; she was confident and didn't seem to be scared of lots of things like he was. It's just that he knew that he was still scared of her; otherwise, why would his heart keep beating like that, and why would he keep blushing whenever he was around her? Whatever angle he looked at it, he could only conclude that he felt that way because of fear. That's why it wasn't appropriate that he wanted to kiss her. 

So he established two firm rules in his mind. Number one, I will avoid touching Momoko. Number two, I will not, under any circumstances, kiss Momoko. With these new rules in place, Ruki felt much better. 

Feeling a new sense of stability, Ruki decided to say something, "Where do you want to take me next, Ito?" 

"Maybe I should leave it up to your imagination?" she replied nonchalantly. 

He laughed nervously. "Maybe not? I've had enough surprises today, thanks."  

"Fair enough," she agreed. "We're going to a goth nightclub."

He almost spit out his burger. "I'm sorry, are you joking me right now?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm not joking. I want to go to a goth club with you because that's where I like to go." 

He put his burger down. "Ito, you do realize that I can't be seen in any club like ever?" 

"Yes," she paused, an amused smile creeping onto her face, "I know you can't be seen there, but what if you don't look like yourself?"

"I'm confused," he said, giving her a skeptical look. 

"It's not that complicated, Shiroiwa. Just like you are wearing a disguise right now—sunglasses, hat, mask—you will be wearing a different disguise. With your disguise, no one will ever suspect that you ever went to a goth club." 

"And just where will I get this disguise?"

"I will provide you with one. I didn't tell you that I have an older brother, did I?" 

"No, I don't really know anything about you." 

"But you will." 

He gave her another skeptical look. "Whatever you say." 

My company is definitely going to kill me.

******

It was already dark by the time they embarked to the second floor of the restaurant in pursuit of a disguise for Ruki. Momoko told him to wait in the hall as she entered what looked like a bedroom. She returned with a black button-up shirt and a pair of black boots. "Put these on. I'm just glad you're already wearing black skinny jeans."