Chapter Forty-Five

ASHER

My eyes opened the next morning to my phone ringing, showing my manager at the bookstore was calling. I wasn't even awake thirty seconds before I grabbed the device, dropping it in the process. My arm sleepily reached onto the floor, grabbing the phone which was no longer vibrating. A text appeared on the screen once it stopped ringing.

Nora from work: hey. two people called off and we're extremely understaffed and busy. can you come in?

I groaned, my eyes adjusting to the time. It was almost nine o'clock, and I was too comfortable in this warm bed with Camila laying next to me. Sighing, I began typing a response.

Me: sure. be there in 30.

I leaned towards Camila's sleeping body, placing my lips on her cheek before memories of last night came flooding in. Our conversation about Crystal replayed through my half awake mind, giving me a headache. I couldn't believe that I lied to her; I really wished the conversation would have played out differently. I didn't know what to think in the moment, coming up with a response on the spot so Camila would not feel suspicious. But I should have just told her the truth. She likely would have been mad, furious even, but at least I wouldn't be feeling the guilt that was consuming me now. Crystal did stretch the truth though, she lied to Camila too. I didn't try to kiss Crystal, although she told Camila that I did. I was thankful, though sad at the same time given the fact that Camila immediately didn't believe her, and she trusted me. Camila trusted that what Crystal was saying was a lie, which some of it was, and that I did not go to visit her, even though I did. What kills me is that I did go out of my way to see Crystal, and although I felt some strange feelings given the atmosphere in the room, not once did I try to make a move on her. But I still lied to Camila about our second meeting and for that, I felt like shit.

"Hey," I nudged the sleeping girl beside me, who stirred in her sleep as my hand touched her arm.

"Good morning," Camila smiled, though her eyes were still closed. "Why are you up so early?" she asked as she opened her eyes, peeking at the time on her phone.

"Bookstore is understaffed. I got called in." I gulped, trying to hide the nervousness I was feeling.

"Oh, okay." Camila smiled, before nuzzling her face against her pillow. "I'm going back to sleep. I'll see you later."

"I love you," I attempted to smile, though it was hard due to the way I was feeling.

"I love you too." Camila whispered, sitting up and meeting my lips with hers. I wanted to kiss her forever, and not have to leave. I immediately regretted saying yes to picking up this shift, because all I wanted was to spend the day with her and make up for the lies I created only hours before.

"Have a good day at work," she giggled against my lips, her laugh alone making me feel even more regret. I had to tell her the truth, but now wasn't the time. She was happy, she was in a good mood - and I didn't want to mess that up. I knew that eventually I would have to tell her the truth, and I planned on it, but right now just didn't feel right.

"Thanks," I stifled a laugh, but Camila didn't seem to notice as she rested her head on her pillow again, falling back asleep within a matter of minutes. I sighed, collecting myself before I ventured off to the bathroom, where I took a long, hot shower. I hoped the hot water would take my mind off the shame that was consuming me, but it didn't. The longer I stood there, alone with my thoughts, the worse I felt.

It was clear to me that I wasn't going to feel better until I told Camila the truth.

-

I cursed silently to myself as I walked into the bookstore, which was packed with college students. Half the shelves were half empty of textbooks, where employees would normally be restocking. Though like my manager said in her text, two people called off. And as I came up to the empty shelves, I sighed. Today was going to be rough.