A Twist In Time: The Anachronism

It's been a while

I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting

But I'm here now

If you got that reference, I want to hug you. 

But all jokes aside, It has been YEARS since I updated this book. I've been absent from this site for a while but recently have been very active within the past year. I haven't felt compelled to update this book in particular since I've been back until I decided to vent about a topic that lives rent-free in my mind and never fails to grate my nerves the more imagines I read. 

It's been a pet peeve of mine for years and nobody seems to have addressed this yet for some reason. Maybe it's just me being petty but I've got to get this off my chest. 

I will be addressing this topic more directly to the fandom I write for so if you don't care for MJ please feel free to move along BUT if you do read or write for any other fandom of a by-gone era(My Queen, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and George Michael ect. buddies) stick around because you might just learn something.

So it's common knowledge that the height of Michael Jackson's popularity was the late 70s to the mid-90s. Albeit, he's still the most popular artist /celebrity of all time, even in death, but there's no denying that he was larger than life in the 80s a decade that is now 40 years behind us.

That means that most, if not all MJ fics will take place at least 20 years in the past unless they are what we Moonwalkers call a "Mature era" fic which almost always takes place in the mid-aughts or an AU.

By this logic, all those fics that are set in the 70s, 80s, and 90s should all be indicative of that particular time period and reflective of Michael's life at that time but haven't we all had a time where we are bopping along, reading a fanfic that takes place in the Jacksons era where the main girl and Michael are cuddled up watching "Aladin" or "Beauty and the Beast", a Thriller era fanfic where the girl eats microwaveable food. That Dangerous era fanfic where Michael and the love interest meet on Facebook. 

Yeah.

Maybe this went over some of you all's heads or maybe you don't find anything wrong with it but I do

Maybe this went over some of you all's heads or maybe you don't find anything wrong with it but I do. It's a deal-breaker for me that makes me stop taking a fic I thought was decent seriously. What is wrong with all the scenarios I named above?

Well.....

1) Jacksons Era is mid to late 70s. "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladin" are Disney renaissance movies that were released in the early 1990s. Unless Michael and Y/N are time travelers, this would be historically impossible. They are better off watching "Robin Hood" or "Jungle Book" or even catching a Tuesday Night Movie of the Week.(Those were actually very good btw, you all should watch some on Youtube)

2) Microwave ovens were very rare in households until the mid to late 80s, thus the availability and abundance of processed, high-sodium microwavable food we know of today would likely be unheard of. Also, unless the main girl is very wealthy, she likely would be heating up her leftovers on the stove or in the oven like others in the pre-microwave era.