Chapter 45

In a sea of industrial buildings and high rises, stood St. John's Cathedral, proud and strong and over a hundred years old.

For the last eight months, the 129 year old church was one of the few sacred locations that Tony's people didn't follow Kennedy inside and since she had made it such a frequented location (often times attending prayer with Tony's, aunts and sisters) there was nothing unusual about her sudden desire to visit and light a candle.

   Ian was already inside sitting in the back, shadowed and just out of sight unless specifically looked for. Mateo was that exception.

  The little boy might as well have been a bloodhound in sight, because his eyes immediately locked on his father and it took all her strength for Kennedy to keep hold of the little boy's hand.

  She finally released him once they reached the pew, Mateo running down to slam into Ian, who caught him. Kennedy was slower, sotting down next to him, staring straight forward while Mateo crawled onto his father's lap, happily hugging Ian who smiled down at him with so much love that it broke Kennedy's heart.

   "I can't bring him out again. If he mentions offhand that he saw you and Tony hears....." Kennedy trailed off placing her hand over Ian's, "We have to be very careful Ian. The New York friggin Mafia is no joke." She pointed and he took her hand, kissing the back of it.

  "Do you forget where I come from?" Ian smiled cheekily but one look from the woman before him quickly faded, "I got Mickey and some guys arranging for a ride out. There's always a back exit in a church right?"

"Ian. We can't just leave. He will hunt me down where ever I go. It's not even if  he genuinely loves me, it's the embarrassment if I just leave him." She stressed, desperately trying to get him to see reason.

  "I told your grandmother ." He said, green eyes careful as he waited for her reaction.

  "What?!"  She stared at the man next to her horrified, wincing as an old woman in the front glanced towards the back suspiciously.

"I had to Ken. I told her how miserable you are and Nonna had some advice." Ian took her hand, trying to sooth the hyperventilating girl beside him.

   "You told Nonna!" Kennedy was on the verge of fainting. Nonna was too sweet and frail to hear about her Mafia situation.

   "She said there's always one person who can help you, but you have to carefully plead your case." Ian gave her a pointed look and Kennedy stared at her hands, shaking her head.

  "No. Ian I can't..... if Tony finds out I went-"

  "Kennedy," The authority in his tone made her glance up, brown orbs locking with green, "this isn't up for discussion. Is there anything else I should know before we move forward?"

She stared at the front of the alter, where the sorrowful face of Jesus Christ stared heavenward. He died for humanity, went through pain and humiliation, for human beings, many of which either didn't believe in him or used his image for their own personal gain.

  What must have it been like, for his mother, she thought, who knowingly raised her son, knowing she would lose him someday for the same people who tortured and mocked him?

Tearing her gaze from the statue, she looked at Ian, eyes void of any emotion, completely miserable.

"I'm carrying Tony Paliano's child."