chapter fourteen

-

-

Luna is standing at Edmund's right side. She feels horribly out of place in this council meeting, being the only woman. However, it soothes her that she is free to wear calmer clothing. Like her summer cloak in its emerald shade. And she isn't even wearing a corset, and the shock it would give her mother sends a thrill down her spine.

Still, she feels quite small, listening to these men talk of things like war and trade.

"Did they say that?" Edmund asks, voice grave. His eyes are dark, and he looks like he wants to harm something.

The man he's asking is one of the men who patrol Narnia's borders. "They all but came out and said it. Narnians who live on the northern border are terrified of raids from the giants there."

"We've left them alone," Edmund says. "Why would they try to raid our people? Are they in need?"

"We have reason to believe the want the entirety of the Northern Empire." The man picks at his armrest. "The people are terrified. They're questioning whether or not King Peter cares about them."

"He doesn't know," Edmund says. "We've been so busy with the spring festival, we've slacked on our duties. I'll set up a meeting with Peter immediately. We have to get these people to safety, and then we'll do what we need to do to keep the giants out of Narnia."

"We could offer the people in Nortern Territories temporary housing until it's safe again," Luna pipes up. Anxiety riddles her veins as the entire council stare at her. Yet, none of them seem judgmental. In fact, it looks as though they're just waiting for her to go on. "Well... maybe we could offer a few rooms at the Cair. And I know my family's manor is empty for a family to move into. Perhaps even a few families could find shelter there. And I'm sure there are more nobles willing to offer room until it's safe again."

Edmund's lips are in a thin line like he isn't sure about her proposition, but then he grins. "That's a wonderful idea, Luna. If I get you a list of people and open housing, can I trust you to send out letters explaining and inviting them to their temporary safe houses?"

"Yes, Your Majesty!" Luna is excited to take on the challenge. She hopes somewhere in Aslan's Country, her father is watching her, proud.

-

There are more narnians living in the Northern Territory than Luna originally thought. So many, that it's almost impossible to fit them all comfortably in the safe houses and rooms provided.

She sighs and digs the heels of her palms against her eyelids. "Aslan, help me." She ties her thick, golden hair back with a ribbon and leans her chin on her palm.