Chapter Two

_Harry_

I stormed into the school, seething. He had deserved that punch, just like he deserved every other one I've ever given him. He avoided me all summer. I plopped my butt down in my first period class- World History- and sighed heavily, making the person next to me look over worriedly.

I understood why he had avoided me...obviously.

What's the last nice thing I've said to him since grade 4 when he told me he was gay? Nothing. I either ignore him or I beat the hell out of him and hate on him.

I'm honestly and truly a horrible person. I know I am. But...it's too late to change anything now... way too late. If I had wanted to avoid all this, it would have been simple. When Louis had told me he was gay, I could have been honest with him too. But Harry Styles- the kid always worried about keeping a reputation, was much too cool, even at that age, to admit anything that could damage him socially. 

I'm such an asshole- I don't deserve love anyways. My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket and checked my messages. Pfft- of course, from Caroline. 

Hey baby! Another year to rule the school! Love you ;) 

No, she didn't. She didn't deserve love either- we were perfect for each other. What we had...what I felt towards her, wasn't proper love. It wasn't even respect. She was a bitch. I was the male counterpart of a bitch. Reputation was all either of us cared about- for my part, because I had gotten rid of the one friend I'd ever actually connected with on such a deep level. 

Don't get me wrong- Zayn, Liam, the other guys I hung out with- they were my friends. Liam and Zayn my best friends. But, at the same time, I was lying to them, to everyone. About so many things. I didn't want to be mean. I hated this. I knew they hated it- but status quo was all just one big fucking game, and what else did I have to look forward to in school besides knowing that I was at the top of the social ladder. It's not like I had good grades to try for- we all knew they were never coming; or someone that I loved- I'd ruined that too. 

Not that I could convince my damn stubborn heart to see it that way. 

I heard someone talking at the front of the class and decided to tune in the conversation. Maybe I could actually pass with some decent marks. I needed this year- Universities looked at senior year, and if I ever wanted to get into AUCB, I needed to do some major shuffling of my priorities. Caroline will be pissed when I tell her I won't be able to go to every party on the weekends. 

"...so,yeah." said the same voice, coughing awkwardly. I tried remember if I knew this kid, with his shaggy brown hair and crazy height...but a name wasn't coming to mind. Why was he at the front of the class anyways.

"Well, thank you very much for that Mr. Brooks, you can go back to your seat now. Everyone, please try to be as courteous as you can to our new student." Said Ms. Paisley, turning back to the board. "Now, let's just get started with class- your in your senior year, if you don't know class expectations by now you shouldn't be here. Turn to page..." I tuned her out as I watched the new kid walk to his seat- coincidentally right next to me.

"Mr. Brooks.... gotta first name?" I asked. Ms. Paisley wanted us to be nice- I could do that. I always felt bad for newbies- the first week makes or breaks their reps for the rest of thier high school lives. Whenever some poor new soul comes to this shitty town, I always hang out with them for awhile- if your seen with me, you can make friends, if you make friends, you don't get those constantly awkward looking people who you always feel bad for. 

"Uh, yeah, I said it like, five seconds ago," He chuckled, shaking his head. "It's Ryan."

"Ryan...classy. Hi Ryan Brooks, I'm Styles, Harry Styles." I replied, reaching my hand out all  007 to shake his own. He snickered, but at least didn't leave me hanging.