Chapter 3 Evil unleashed

It was time. After so many years of searching and researching, the time came to release beaver city's biggest secret. A secret brave man and woman died to protect and hidden from the rest of the world. One thing the doctor knew about Beaver city was that it was a unique town. Not just here, but all of Utah was. The mountains, the woods, the trees, parks, and its people. Out of all the towns and cities in Utah, Beaver city was Special. There was something unique about it. He could smell it and feel it.

     Getting out of his car at three in the morning, he strolled through an empty parking lot with no one left. He descended to the Beaver city Institute of Science and Technology. A facility where (in his opinion) is science is the future. The doctor knew humans were not the apex predators of the earth; the creature that has dwelled under the town was and, over the years, trapped down under the city. They've starved it, angered it, and now it was time for it to roam free and feed on the inhabitants of the mysterious state of Utah.

     Getting into the building, he walked down the empty corridors of the institute. Offices were closed, and the labs locked up for the night. What the doctor needed to do wasn't in the labs; it's in the basement—a secret project that could shift the very fabric of nature and what he knew about human anatomy. Of all the creatures, the institute had the most fascinating and the most dangerous. It's been waiting for years to be free, and tonight it will have its freedom. Now that it was happening, the beast would be hungry, and it was going to get its first meal since its release.He was heading to the elevator. He could see his assistant heading in his direction. A short bald man is wearing a lab coat, In his forties, and a puffy face. He was an outstanding scientist. Competent but is too afraid to go the extra mile to make a scientific breakthrough. He only hired him for one purpose, and he was about to fulfill it.

     "Dr. Sullivan Kane," He said.

     "Why are we here at this hour?"

      "Mr. Race, good evening. I'm sorry for the late night."They shook hands with respect for one another. Sullivan's handshake was firm with slight intimidation. He preferred to be in labs than to socialize. He had far more critical things to do."it's the assist. There have been signs of it being restless and almost escaping."Fear gathered on the doctor's face. Whipping his face with his hand, both doctors descended to the elevators. Inside, Sullivan could feel his partner's anxiety. The beast hidden under the institute was an ancient and terrifying creature that Utah residents have feared for years. It did concern Sullivan. But not enough to delay the plan. His research had to begin and tonight was the night.    

    Reaching the basement level, they stepped into a cave-like chamber in front is a computer desk with monitors that observed the creature's health. A large glass window was showing a narrow metal bridge and columns holding the room together. It seemed to stretch out for miles, but it was only a few feet away from the entrance.

      Mr. Race hurried to the monitors to check on the creature. Everything seemed normal, but there was something off. It seemed restless, and the energy it was generating was at max level. The past few day's Sullivan and Dr. Race watched the creature and would monitor it all. They would watch its heart rate, the amount of energy it generated, the time it needed to eat, sleep and keep it calm and under control.    

      Mr. Race looked through the scans thoroughly. Everything was normal. There didn't seem to be anything wrong in fact; he saw no signs of it trying to escape. Maybe Sullivan read the readings wrong or thought he saw something strange: he never makes mistakes. The system is functioning rage, and the barrier in which kept the creature at bay was holding firm. He couldn't understand. Why did Sullivan bring him to the institute tonight? The system was working, and the safety measures were fully functional. He had built them himself. An EMP built around the barrier cage would disorient it, forcing it back further into its lair if it got too close to escaping. And so far, it didn't seem like it did, so why?

     He felt a point digging into his neck. The room rumbled as the alarms went off. Mr. Race felt groggy. His vision blurred, and his body felt numb. He looked up to see Sullivan dragging him by his arms. Faint noises emerged from his mouth. Trying to speak felt like trying to walk with ankle weights as heavy as cinderblocks; his mouth felt dry, and he could only see faint shapes and patterns.     

      Still feeling Sullivan carrying him, Sullivan put him close to the barrier. A white and blue light transparent wall with a giant creature like a shadow with bat-like wings and small jolts of lighting creak and crackling, nearly deafening him. Placing Mr. Race close to the barrier, Sullivan raced ten feet away from the cage, almost halfway across the platform.

   "My apologies for the delay." Sullivan said.

    "I had to find the right person who could give you the strength to escape."The monster just glared at him, not out of amusement or gratefulness, but to be sure that they could trust him. Years of captivity, it thought most humans were devious, and they are, but with Sullivan, he only helped him achieve his scientific goal. He stared at Mr. Race, who looked half dead. He would be soon, right after his meal.      

     "There's no need to worry. The cyanide poisoning I administered won't kill him yet, only make the dying slow enough for you to feed. Now I assume that once you're free, our deal is still intact?"

     With A deep echo voice, the monster said. "If this human gives me the strength I need, then yes I shall honor our agreement" With its claws, it reached for the human with small bolts of lightning crackling around the surface of its claw-like small flies dancing, circling it. Mr race disappeared into the dragon's lair, with Sullivan taking further steps back.

     The room rumbled, and it seemed like an earthquake was transpiring. Mr. Race was the perfect person and candidate for the monster's release. Giant flashes of blue light stocked the chamber with rubble falling. Massive bolts of lightning struck and smashed around the room, causing more debris to fall. With the place destabilizing, Sullivan ran for cover, heading to the elevators. Heading outside while the building shook, he looked up to the sky, seeing bright lights and storm clouds with colossal lightning bolts lighting the night. His plan had worked. The monster was free, and while heavy rain fell, he realized his actual work was about to begin.