The Funeral

It snowed that day.

Utterson watched as they lowered Jekyll's and Hyde's bodies into the grave. The two had separate gravestones, yes, but they were next each other. Well, as close as gravestones could be. He tried his best not to cry, realizing he was once again alone, but he couldn't help it. The tears came, and they didn't stop. Emma, the woman Hyde had befriended, came up to Utterson and gently hugged him. The lawyer tried to maintain composure, but ended up sobbing into Emma's shoulder. Tears rolled down both their cheeks, and Emma's two kids hugged Utterson and their mother, their faces snot and tear stained.
"Momma?" Vincent looked up at her.
"Yes, dear?" Emma looked at her son.
"Is Eddie in a bad place?" He asked. Emma paused before her answer. She let go of Utterson and knelt down in front of her son.
"He's in a place where people can just talk. It's a beautiful place, filled with trees, and it's always twilight." She explained.
"Is Dr. Jekyll there too?" Victoria asked.
"They're both there, isn't that right, Mr. Utterson?" She looked at the man.
"Oh— Uh—" Utterson wiped his eyes a bit. "Yes, they're in that wonderful place." He said.
"Why didn't they go to heaven?" Victoria asked. "Edward was nice to us.." She mumbled.
"They didn't go to Heaven because they still have problems with each other they needed to work out." Utterson explained as he knelt down in the snow. "But the place they're in now is better, and hopefully they'll meet others there." He said. "Others like them." He added. Victoria hugged Utterson.
"... Mr. Utterson?" She asked, "Did you love Edward and Dr. Jekyll?" She wondered. Utterson's cheeks went red.
"I... I did. Edward was a.... complicated man. But that what's made me drawn to him, I suppose." He admitted.
"Heheh! I bet you made them really happy!! You're a nice man." Victoria stated. Emma gently pried her daughter off.
"You two, go with your uncle and Opa, okay?" She told her kids, gesturing to a man waiting by a carriage with an elderly man. They quickly ran off to them, and the man embrace them with a warm smile.

"'Opa'?" Utterson questioned.
"My parents are German. The reason we don't have an accent is because we were born here in London." She explained. "I call my parents 'father' and 'mother' when in public to better blend in." She added.
"Ah.. why did you send them away?" Utterson then asked.
"... tell me the truth about Hyde and Jekyll. There's no way there isn't a reason behind their tombstones being so close." Emma stated. "And.. after I'd like to invite you back to our house. I need help with a few things and my brother will be taking care of the kids and my Papa." She explained.
"Ah.." Utterson sucked in a breath, and explained everything he knew about Hyde and Jekyll. After, Emma looked confused.
"How.. how could two people be the same person?" She asked.
"Because, as far as I know, the formula Henry drank made everything he repressed into one being. And then, he found a way to give them two bodies, but it didn't end well because man cannot live split like that." Utterson informed, basing this on his theories. Emma rubbed her temples.
"Okay, so, Jekyll drank a bunch of chemicals, and then Hyde appeared. And then, he gives Hyde a body, and months later they wind up dead." She tried to piece together everything.
"Exactly." Utterson said. Emma sighed, grabbing Utterson's arm and walking to the carriage.
"Well I got what I asked for. Now help me." She said, although it sounded like Utterson didn't have a choice.
————————
"And that's the story of Jekyll and Hyde." A descendant of Victoria explained to her class. One boy raised his hand.
"Ma'am, where are they buried?" He asked.
"The cemetery just near here. But don't you dare head there without your parents consent." She warned. "The ground is rocky, and strange." She said. "Now, let's get back to how this plays a role into old alchemy..."

Later that day, the boy disregarded his teacher's warning and went to the cemetery. He looked around for the gravestones, and found them. He knelt down and opened his bag, taking out two pictures of what he thought Hyde and Jekyll looked like. He folded them up, setting them on their respective gravestones and setting a rock on top so it wouldn't blow away. He then looked at the words on the stones.
"... I'm sorry you two died such horrible deaths. I'm sure it was scary, and hope you're happy now. Also I hope you like the drawings. They're supposed to be you two, but I dunno what you look like." He stood up, and left.

And with that, the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde came to a close.