𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒊𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚

we are vagabonds, souls of flesh and bone and stardust that are chained to the earth, sinews of gold and silver and platinum connecting our bones of copper sun and gleaming moon. when crushed, our bones are indistinguishable from moondust. our veins flow with the ichor of immortality, blood dripping gold in the night when the wounds of our battles finally bleed. we pack light and we move slow, drinking in the world around us through the very pores of our skin until we can feel the universe inhabiting us inside and out, a host body for that which is magnificence incarnate and now we, too, are that level of pure magnificence. we are vagabonds; our home is the heart of the universe itself.

yet we forget that we, too, were once gods who ruled the highest clouds and deepest waters, and we forget that we, too, once wore crowns of misty clouds and everblooming flowers. & did we forget that we, too, were faeries of legends weaving their magic under mystical moonlight and gods riding chariots that shone like the midday sun? did we forget that we each offer our unique gifts, that no immortal being should be birthed twice by the universe, that not every immortal being stays in one form? did we forget that artemis did not love men but said nothing about women, or that apollo loved men dearly? did we forget that the gods we worshipped should not be constrained to such small things as labels and phobias, that they would have laughed at us when we tried to define their mere existence? divinity in itself demands freedom, a chaos that cannot be tamed with labels. 

let us not forget, however, that we are the immortals' legacy, our souls built in the image that the universe desired for us, each to a different path that weaves the intricacies of life. the ichor of immortality is within us. we are the children of the gods of old, destined to be the gods of the new age. we are what the universe had planned, and we forget how the universe told us it loved us in a thousand different ways, no matter what we do or where we go. we are the gods. we are divinely mortal and fallibly immortal, for we, too, share the warmth of the earth's burning core as our own, a fire shown in dilated pupils and hot skin as we forge our way in dusty trails, binding our wounds and loosening our tongues. 

we are the gods of old, and we are the legends of the future. 

we are.