Chapter 10:: Supermarkets solve everything

Chapter 10// Supermarkets solve everything

Team Stefan or Damon?” Jennifer asks me as I enter her bedroom, carrying a tray of breakfast. She’s sprawled across her bed, the sheets tangled around her, and there’s Nutella remnants in the corners of her lips. She looks like a mess to put it lightly, and I think it’s my responsibility to take care of her. Maybe I should give her a pamper session or something later, to perk her up a little bit and keep her clean. Jennifer’s friend has always come over to help Jennifer to take baths until now, but she’s going on holiday tomorrow, so Jennifer told me. Looks like I’ll be facing this bath time alone.

“Team Damon definitely,” I nod, wrinkling my nose at the idea of Stefan and Elena getting back together. “I mean, they were cute in season one but she’s grown so much since then, changed completely. She needs Damon now.” I slide the breakfast tray onto Jennifer’s lap, careful not to spill the coffee on her and lean down to start picking up the clothes that Jennifer has attempted and failed to throw into the washing basket. Jennifer sighs confusedly at my answer and grabs a spoonful of cereal. The TV screen has been paused onto an unfortunate expression of Caroline’s.

“But,” She protests with her mouth full, “Stefan has loved her since the beginning. He’d do anything for her. Plus, he’s smoking hot,” She muses as an afterthought, “That too.” I fight the urge to roll my eyes- sometimes Jennifer acts even more like a teenager than I do.

“Right,” I second, amusedly.

“So anyway,” Jennifer asks, shoving another spoonful of cereal into her mouth. “Are you staying around today? I’m not saying you have to, because obviously you work so hard around here and you deserve a break. However if you do want to stay, I have some stuff which needs to be taken to the Laundromat. Plus, Jesse tells me we’re running out of food.” She looks at me with wide eyes before raising a hand to her mouth slowly. “I feel like the evil step-mom in Cinderella,” She realises aloud, “You don’t have to do any of that! I just thought you’d want to, y’know, seeing as-“

“I will be staying,” I interrupt with a smile, “And of course I could help you out. It’s the least I can do.”

“You keep saying that,” Jennifer sighs, and her spoon falls back into the bowl with a clatter. “You forget that I was the stupid one that didn’t see the car reversing. Is Jesse laying off you now? He was horrible to you at the beginning.” I nod and smile, although I can’t help but wince at the memories from before and it troubles me. Jesse hated me when he first found out about the accident- does he only get along with me now because of the plan to get Rita back for him, or has he really started to forgive me? I try to remind myself of the times before Jesse asked me to do anything for him, like when we were making cupcakes, or at the park, when it seemed like we were almost friends.

Is he just using my guilt as a way to get this plan seen through? I frown at the thought.

“Right,” I brush off my jeans, “I’ll nip to the grocery store then. Is there a shopping list anywhere?”

Jennifer shakes her head and takes a sip of coffee. “Probably not. I asked Jesse to make one, but he probably hasn’t. Just tell him that I’ve said he has to go with you, okay? He’ll know what we buy usually. Money’s on the counter. Thanks for doing this, Lois; you’re practically a saint.” I smile at that, and make my way slowly out of the room. As soon as the door closes behind me, my smile disappears though. The thought of Jesse using me is haunting: that maybe our friendship is just a business deal to him.